Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 10:08:00 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: SMF - Just Installed!

+  WCT members-only forum
|-+  Wheelsport Rides, Bike info, etc
| |-+  Weekly team rides
| | |-+  2012 Ride Report
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: 2012 Ride Report  (Read 5902 times)
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 08:51:23 PM »

Wheelsport represented well at the 2012 Flying Wheels Century today…

Chris, Chet, David, John, Ronnie & Tom all braved the elements today, but trying to keep everyone together with all the other masses of riders was definitely a chore. Chet & Tom decided to head off at the 65 mile loop while David, John, Ronnie and myself took the 100 mile loop. Chet reported later that Tom took a spill but those two muscled out an extra 20 miles and left with 85 miles under their belts. Tom then went to have 7 stitches in his elbow at the ER….now that’s one tough SOB!

The rest of us hooked on with some really good groups, mainly Cycle U and Pro – and finished out the remainder of our ride. We ended up finishing just over 5 hours and a 19.1 avg. Not too shabby for a bunch of old guys! Monster pulls by all, hill climbs….holy crap, some amazing downhills & I know one guy who’s legs were more than ready to be done at the finish line.

See you next week
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 10:56:48 PM »

Chet, John, Ronnie, Tom, Chris & Dave.....Chet brought him and he’s a Husky two strikes against him already!

Dash Point/Browns Point was the call of the day and off we went. Muggy 70 deg and dry – much better than what the forecasters had predicted. Double file down the trail into a subtle headwind with Tom chatting in the back about his war wound from Flying Wheels.
We headed up Peasley; KOM again goes to Chet…with the youngster hot on his tail. Out around down, up, sideways and we lost Ronnie. He had stopped to take off his fenders so he would be more efficient on the front. A spirited battle up front from Dash to Browns Chet, Steve, Ronnie & I. Quick break at the Cliff House and off we went again. As we headed down Levee Rd. Chet doing a very nice job out front as the Puyallup sign came into view. I was sitting second wheel and spotted Ronnie jump…I gave him a 30 second head start and ran him down with my lightning reflexes. Ok ok, so he didn’t get a 30 second head start, but I still ran him down. Chet came by whining and sniveling about how we just used him and left him out to dry. Well YA….you can’t have all the fun Chester! Coming past the Cemetery into Sumner Ronnie was on the front…yes Ronnie, he had a nice pull up there and dropped back then comes out of nowhere to claim the Sumner sign – I knew he’d been slacking the whole ride.
Coffee / Water break at the shop next to The Cannery, then off through Sumner to Pacific. I bid adieu to the guys and headed for home.

Great ride I had 72 – thinking the rest of the crew had around 50-? With a 19.3 avg   
No mechanicals, no bonkers, good day

Have an enjoyable Fathers Day - See you next week.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 01:29:59 PM by ckaiz » Logged
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 05:06:32 PM »

Chet, John, Tom & Chris

Tom called Alki and north we went. Had a real nice headwind up, everyone taking their turn up front battling the wind. We hit Starbucks refueled and headed back. Just cleared the Admiral Way traffic nightmare and the worst RR crossing known to mankind and twang….Chet had a mechanical. We pulled off the side of the road at the driveway for a Native American longhouse to assess the damages. Broken spoke…rear wheel. Zip tied it to another spoke and Chet popped inside to get some scissors to cut off the tag. Tom assisted by “truing” the wheel up so we could get back without too many other issues. All because Chet had a mechanical the rains decided to come….and oh man did they come down! Soaked to the bone and the wind driving in our faces we managed to get back to Kent. One of THE WETTEST WCT RIDES EVER!

45 miles I’ll say 18 ish avg – one mechanical, lots of rain, lots of wind

Cya next week! Someone better order up some sunshine!!!

Chris
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 09:55:50 PM »

Chet, John, Tom & Chris – Balmy…Muggy…70 and a chance of rain.

Headed out on the way to Mercer…collected Ronnie as we turned out of the parking lot. Normal convoy & warm-up as we headed towards and past Boeing. We picked up a rider at the stoplight and he tagged along for a while….

Heading up the trail we collected another two riders, one of which looked more like Arnold than a cyclist. He was sporting a SofaKing Jersey and apparently had a hard head and didn’t need a helmet.

Stopped at Tully’s for some refreshments and headed out towards 90 to head back. I was having major problems shifting and stopped to figure out what the heck was going on. One of the links had separated not allowing the free flow thru the rear derailleur…Tom & John noted there was a bike shop a couple blocks away so we headed down there. Chet pulling me, Ronnie pushing…you guys are $$. Took about 20 minutes to get the repair done, pay the bill and out the door.

Heading back to Seward we collected another two riders, Chet pulled thru, I pulled thru and the tag alongs were in front. The pace wasn’t what Chet approved of and he took back over, John followed suit followed by Ronnie, myself and Tom. Bye bye guys….WCT coming thru. Nice pull thru Chet/John!

Back on Interurban trail and approx. 2 miles from Russell Road it starts to sprinkle, mind you we are only 2 miles from the parking lot….Tom stops to pull out the “magic jacket” to stop the rain. The rain did stop and the “magic jacket” is no longer a myth.

Great ride – 45 miles??? Sure we were 18.5 or above

See you bright and early Wednesday for the Matava Crit!
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 06:12:15 PM »

The 37th Joe Matava Memorial Crit -
Big thank you to all the WCT members that helped make this event happen & to the Lucky Cause Sport team that did all the dirty work and worked behind the scenes to pull off such a great event.
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 03:37:32 PM »

Chet, Emil, Tom, John, Doug, Ronnie, Gerald & John

North into the headwind Big Dave’s Black Diamond route. We weren’t 2 miles up the trail and the theme of the day was established. Flat, flat, flat, flat, flat…..Emil flatted, repaired and blew before it even got back on the bike. Fixed again and we were off. As we turned onto the Cedar River Trail we knew we would have to keep our speed down and good thing…golf cart patrol on duty! Meandered through Maple Valley and into the Black Diamond bakery for a water bottle refill, refuel and listen to the Oompa Loompa band across the street and watched Emil work on his front tire yet again. Back out and heading for Flaming Geyser Chet calls out glass….it was everywhere and with the cars passing nowhere to go but through it. Tom was the only casualty as a piece sliced his sidewall. After an eternity, we were back on the road thanks in part to the good samaritin with a floor pump that stopped and gave the assist! Down thru Flaming Geyser and Green Valley Rd. another flat…..Emil again. This time it was the rear. Fixed yet again we made it all the way back to the parking lot without any further issues. Ronnie & I headed to Pacific, John not to be outdone headed back north through the Cedar River Trail and up the backside home….72 miles for Ronnie/Chris 86 miles for John….52 for the rest of the guys.

Good ride, would’ve been a great ride had there not been so many freakin flats!

See you next week!

ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 07:18:54 PM »

Tom & Chet met me as they were coming out of the parking lot...John wasn't far behind. Collected everyone and headed north. The wind "WAS" coming out of the west/north - "WAS" -

Rode paired up most of the way up past Boeing, a majority of the weekend warriors were on their way to Portland so the trail was pretty clear. We finally decided that we would do north lake and made pretty quick work of it.  Stopped for Coffee at Starbucks in Mercer then headed for home. As we crossed the bridge 2 Garage riders were being very courteous riding side by side 15 mph. Chet nosed up behind them and politely asked to go by. Nearing the other side of the bridge one of the fine young men decided he would show us whats up...passed and Chet jumped on his wheel. I don't even think it was 200 yards and the guy realized he had a friend, throws his hand out...slows...and pulls to the side. Being the nice guy that Mr. James is, he asked "that was it" Huh and rode up the hill. Classic! Made my day!

We nosed into the nice headwind and headed for home.

Another great ride with the Saturday crew -

ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 08:07:41 AM »

Chet, Doug, Tom F., Tom B, Ronnie, Chris & John

We headed to Alki – Probably one of the quickest runs up to Alki that I can remember. No mechanicals and no other issues…strong riding by everyone. Arriving in Alki sat and relaxed for a bit then back on the road. Little did Chet know that on the climb up Admiral I had a bungee attached to his bike. Man that was a super easy climb! Had a nice headwind on the way back but John fired up the locomotive and headed to the front. Now that’s the guy to be behind when its windy. You can tuck right in there behind him and not even break a sweat. Willis St. we all split up – Ronnie & I kept south, John went East, Chet, Tom B. & Tom F went west for the parking lot. Super day – 40 miles for the group and pretty close to a 19 avg.
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 09:33:44 PM »

Tom, Chet, Al, John, Ronnie, Chris & Gerald

Lots of chatter in the parking lot, we finally headed out destination unknown. I went north on the trail calling South Loop Mercer and we laid down the pace. The pace quickening as the deaf guy up front could hear Tom and Gerald chatting in the back.....we had a nice solid group nearly to Coulon and Gerald split off heading to work. Couple things going on today, Seafair and Seahawk training camp. Lots of folks out and cars where normally there are none. As we crossed the bridge we turned where we thought the road to the coffee shop was and was greeted by a gnarly hill. Up at the top we let Big John take the lead as Chet and i were clearly lost. Chet bought everyone refreshments and we soaked up the rays. The ride back had what we thought would be a nice tailwind, but was more out of the west than anything. Ah well...what doesn't kill is makes us stronger! Uneventful ride...no mechanicals, no wrecks and great company.

Group had 40 Ronnie and i clocked 60 cuz we are awesome

See Ya next week!

Chris
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2012, 08:29:10 AM »

David, Ronnie, Chris, Tom , Chet, Doug, Al & John

Decided Hatchery Hill to the Bakery then the Gorge back to the parking lot. We set a good pace heading out and up the hill. Chet, Ronnie & I started to pull away from the group and at points we were 23 mph heading up the hill. Regrouped we headed down to the Bakery. Out the Gorge we headed and back thru to Kent. No major issues, some tired legs as we split off. David riding in from Sumner clocked 77 Ronnie & I posted 70 - Great ride, no mechanicals, a tad warm & we all lived to tell about it.

Gearing up to go work the Hill Climb this morning

See you all next week!
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2012, 07:43:54 PM »

Fantastic day up at Crystal! We had just over 70 riders, didn't hear a single complaint a bout the event or the weather. Thanks to everyone that was there that helped make the event go off without a hitch.

Top dog time went to Max Oneil just over 24 minutes and that was on his second run. Oh to be 17 again eh? Our own David Garrett took the gold in his category as well.

See you all on the road.
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 05:13:27 PM »

Going from record breaking temps to overcast, a bit on the muggy side didn't break my heart one bit. Chet, Rick, Doug, Tyler, John & Chris. We headed out thinking after our discussion in the parking lot that we were heading to Puyallup. Before we got to the trail John says "lets do east/west Mercer". North we headed! Making our way up to and past Boeing we stopped at Coulon so Doug could put some more things in his napsack. I think he had some KFC in there for a picnic later on. As we regrouped before heading across I-90 Sofa King rider zooms past, followed by another rider we had just smoked. Nah....that aint happnin! Chet, Rick and I jumped caught and smoked him again, then Chet sidled up next to Pete the Sofa King rider. Come to find out he and Chet are friends from way back and haven't seen each other for 20 some years. And here I thought you were in your 30's Chester??? Bypassed our normal coffee stop in Mercer and headed to Leschi. Well deserved stop, hydrate, caffinate and get ready to battle the headwind home. Oh yeah, I beat Chet on the Leschi sprint! Heading home, nice double pace-line. James st. came fast and I continued south, John south then east, Chet, Rick & Doug West to the parking lot and Tyler had peeled off earlier for home. I put my nose into the wind for the 20 miles home.

Great ride today - put 85 in myself with an 18.8 avg

See you guys in two weeks, i'm heading over to Chelan next Friday.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length