Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 10:04:45 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: SMF - Just Installed!

+  WCT members-only forum
|-+  Wheelsport Rides, Bike info, etc
| |-+  Weekly team rides
| | |-+  2012 Ride Report
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 2012 Ride Report  (Read 5901 times)
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 14, 2012, 08:11:10 PM »

We met despite the forecasted rain...john, chet & chris - we all decided that the Starbucks coffee shop would be much more pleasant than the wind that was driving in from the south with rain. I flagged Ronnie down as he was the ONLY brave soul to ride today...riding in from his house. Chet shoved off first and we followed suit shortly thereafter.
We will try it again next week...as I write this watching the snow come out of the sky.

Anyone who wants to show up....we are still meeting at 10am Russel Road Park in Kent -

Peace n Grease
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 09:26:34 PM »

after "snowpocolypse 2012"....

Today we were expecting better weather...but who really listens to the weatherman in the PNW?? I arrived in the parking lot to find Chet sleeping in his Mini, guess  the drive from Alaska really tuckers a guy out in the morning. We had some new guys show today - Bruce, Rod & Scott - Chet had invited Bruce, Rod & Scott are 2 guys that ride with Bonney Lake Bikes in Sumner. Tom, John and Ronnie also rolled in - so we had a full crew for the first time in over a year if my memory serves correct. We headed north and decided to take the Alki tour today. Pretty uneventfull ride, a couple times we had some guys head out off the front and Chet being the cycling ambassador he is realed them in. We stopped in Alki, John and Tom headed in for a cup o jo and to catch up on their reading. Headed back out we had a decent headwind, Ronnie cramped up (a sign of too many doughnuts over the last few weeks) and we packed him full of food and made sure he had plenty of fluids before sending him on his 10 mile trek home. All in all - a great January ride....hoping the new guys come back and ride with us again. Makes it nice to have some other people pulling. 43.? miles i had us clipping at a 17.1 avg - no mechanicals -  see ya next week guys. Grin
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 11:20:39 AM »

Chet, John, Chris, Tom, Scott, Rod, Ronnie and new guy David

One of the nicest February rides I can remember, we had 8 guys and the census was Maple Valley (big dave's route) Out of the parking lot and north we trekked and into Renton where we heard...."we will need to stop at the trail and fix John's flat" We didn't make it very much further and heard the bellowing from the back "FLAT"....repairs to John's Michelen were made and we were off to the Cedar River 10 mph Trail. Good weather and lots of people on the trail as we headed out to Maple Valley....into a very distinct headwind. Ronnie, Scott, Rod, and I had nice pulls but Chet being the stellar feller he is had 2 nice pulls into the raging winds. Is there anything that guy doesn't do well? We got fractured at a couple lights but regrouped and made a nice charge up around and into the Bakery. Sitting in the sun eating and hydrating, that is a always a welcome thing. By now most of us had shed 2 layers of gear and quite comfortable - we headed back to the parking lot. Green Valley road new guy David took the charge on the front and set quite a nice pace. He nearly pulled us from Flaming Geyser to 18. Making a left into Auburn to the trail we bid adios to Ronnie and continued back to the parking lot. Rod, we later found out hadn't had a stellar breakfast and had bonked off the back. Scott went back to pick him up and hook a bungee to drag him back. Fantastic ride...love the fact we have more guys and some nice strong additions to our group. See ya next week!

52.5 miles 17.8 mph avg - 1 flat and some tired legs

Peace & Grease!
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 11:08:33 PM »

9...yes 9 riders converged upon the Russell Road Parking lot this morning - Chet, John, Tom F, Tom S, Rod, Scott, David, Bruce & Chris

With the rain and wind clearly stating their presence we headed south into the bowls of Puyallup...heading down the trail it was an uneventful ride down through Pacific into Sumner and then Puyallup. Making the turn at what is now described as the W in the road, we headed up to our Fruitland hill climb. Chet "KOM" James led the pack up to the top and headed back down to gather in the rest. Apparently not getting enough climbing in and needing more. Heading to our payoff downhill and that's where the "status quo" ride came to and end. I flatted right in front of the Puyallup Stadium. The first tube went in quickly and inflated quite well, until I unscrewed the co2 from the stem. The presta valve still frozen to the co2 decided to come with it. Psssssshhhhh - strike one...next tube put in pumped up....before we could get the wheel on the bike, flat - strike two...next tube went in pumped up and whatya know...stayed! Hooray!! By now the other 8 guys had settled in to watch the soccer matches going on across the street and one of them was nodding off! Back on the road coming back through Puyallup I hear Tom F. drop his chain, not thinking too much of it we slowed a bit then went on. Making the left across the RR tracks Chet did a quick count and discovered Tom F. was missing. I looped back followed by David and Chet to find Tom F on the side of the road with …..a FLAT…Luckily Chet and David still had tubes as Tom had given up one or both to me earlier. I called ahead to John and told him to keep rolling and we would catch up. Flat fixed, we headed for Kent. Not sure who came up with it but we started doing a pull rotation and then off the back ….FLAT…Tom F. hit a bump and got snakebit. Chet and I observed as David and Tom F. had things handled quickly and back on the trail. No other issues as we rolled into the parking lot. John & Tom S still there we loaded up and headed for home.

So for the record – I’m good for a while on flats, well lets hope anyway dang! And I think Tom F. has his quota for the year as well.

45 or so miles, good ride until I started the flat repair business. Thanks for coming out everyone; we’ve got some real strong new riders!

Peace & Grease
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 08:30:57 PM »

The fearsome foursome braved the cold and wind....

John, Tom, Ronnie, Chris - we were freezing in the parking lot and if it would have sprinkled an ounce, we would be destined to the nearest coffee shop! But since Tom wore his "rain jacket" not a drop the whole ride. We headed south with the Sumner Starbucks as our pre-determined turnaround location. Wind in our faces we all braved the front, making valient headway. Arriving at Starbucks we had a 15.3 avg going...did I mention the wind...holy cow it was blowin today! Warmed up by the fire, John & Tom powered down some Pikes roast. Gathering our gear and excited about our return trip we rolled out of town. I'd say we had at least a 20 mph headwind on the way to Sumner so the return was awesome! Big John jumped up front and led the charge through the warehouse district at an easy 27. Making quick work of our return we all felt like pro's with the speeds that were generated. Was a quick 30 miles, and we ended up with a 17.5 avg. What a difference a week makes...as last week I spent the entire weekend in bed with one of the worst colds i've had in a long time. No flats, other than my front tire blowout in my car on the way in....yeah that was nice and loud. Just about soiled my gear!

Good luck to our guys racing tomorrow...remember to keep the rubber on the road!

Peace/Grease

Chris
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 07:52:31 PM »

NO posts last 2 weeks....But if you were there, you know what happened!

Rain, wind more rain and more wind. That's all i gots ta say bout dat!
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 10:01:54 PM »

Man what a ride! Chet, Tom and myself - did the Flaming Geyser 48 miler. Bit of a headwind on the way back through Kent, but even with all the climbing we held almost a 19 mph avg - Was nice to leave the fenders at home for the second consecutive Saturday. Don't be shy guys...we'd love to have you out on the rides again.
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 10:47:03 PM »

Chris Kaiser

as Chet and I waited for people to show up...John rolls up, opens his door, foot on the ground and all i hear is "sh**" - be right back guys...forgot my shoes! After he returned the 3 amigos rolled out destination unknown. Without Tom we were able to determine that the wind was coming from the north. So north we went...

John flatted near Coulon & caught major flak again for not having Continentals....Chet & I vowed to have John on Continentals by the end of the year! Mercer was calling and we had a nice tailwind on the way home. 44 miles who knows what our avg was...who cares...hell the sun was out!

Did we scare everyone away? Did your kitchen passes get revoked?
10 am Saturday...Russel Road Park
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 06:43:52 PM »

4 saturdays in a row...in April...now ur talkin!
John, Chet, Tom, new old guy Doug and Chris
We hadn't done the Dash/Browns Point ride in quite some time - out we go. Excellent ride, no mechanicals (john stayed out in front alot...hmmm) I had missed a few days riding so rode from the house up. Spun around at James and headed back into the headwind for a nice 20 mile cool down. Guys had a bit over 50 miles. When I left the group we had a 19.6 avg going.

Ended my day with 87 and a 19.0 avg

See ya next week.
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 08:49:32 PM »

Chris Kaiser, Tom Frank, Ronnie Necesito, John Wohlfarth & Chet James

- Ron showed off his battle wounds from last week - car door opened in front of him and whammo! Good to see you are ok!

huddle up and roll out to Alki -
A brisk pace set out with the wind at our back and we made real good time. Stopped for coffee at Starbucks and enjoyed yet another rainless Saturday ride. We put our gear back on and kicked it into high gear for the return home. Battling a slight headwind, headed home at another brisk clip. All in all 43.? miles 19 avg no mechanicals and some sore legs & lungs. Nice work guys!

ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 08:34:27 PM »

John, Ronnie, Doug & Chris

Another picture perfect day here in the PNW - I've lost count now is that 6 in a row??
We headed north as we had the wind out of the north/west destination Mercer Island. Everyone had ridden in so no warmup needed...we jumped on the trail and made quick work north. On the turnaround John took the lead from Leschi to Seward...The ride down Rainier had Ronnie out front and had a really nice pull, followed by another real nice pull from Doug. Down past Longacres with John out front on one of his fav. pulls and a tailwind...we were hovering around 25-26 the whole stretch. I'm not sure I was even peddaling behind that freight train (aka Wohlfarth) -

No mechanicals, one mishap as I decided to have an arguement with  the center post before getting across the I-90 bridge...the post won.

Sunny skies ahead - see you next week
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 09:04:28 AM »

Jon, Ronnie, Chris -

We all rode in and with no other folks showing up...headed out on our long journey
Cedar river trail, Tiger Mt., Black Diamond, Flaming Geyser, Auburn and back home 75 mi.

Cedar river trail was a nightmare! So many little kids and one of them just about took the three of us out! Nothing really to talk about, we came we saw we conquered & we were tired.
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 08:35:37 AM »

All involved in today’s festivities…Chet, John, Doug & Chris

Headed north to Alki today. We waited for Tom to show…maybe he was still trying to figure out how many days he had until he retires??? Up Interurban we had a nice pace 23/24…apparently I jumped too hard after some of the street crossings and had some grumblings as we entered the backside of Boeing. The ride up Monster proved that even with a stomach flu Chet is still the KOM….jerk! We passed up a fellow on a Pinarillo and he jumped on our tail up to Starbucks. I heard Doug talking with him as we slowed for some coffee, used to ride with the WCT group and Tom was a name dropped.

Headed back south bid ado to the guys at James St. and continued back to my starting point in Pacific.

No mechanicals, no accidents, my odometer clicked 62 miles and 19.5 avg. – good day guys
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 10:25:16 PM »

Tom, Chet, John, Ronnie & Chris –

Much discussion as to where the wind was coming from…where the rain was…and where we would go. Ronnie wanted to go north, Tom wanted to go south…age won and south we went. Ran into several “Earthworks riders” on the trail, funny how they have no clue or etiquette and block the whole trail. COMING THRU!!!!!

We motored down through Sumner and into Puyallup. After Chet / Chris took their pulls I hear Tom in the back…“damn 24 into a headwind…can we slow it down?” John chimes in “neither one of them have computers” ….Chet and I chatted in the back that we just had a nice rhythm going and didn’t really realize we were going that fast.

Anyway…we head around and up Fruitland, Chet and Ronnie on my wheel and I’m giving them both a nice break going up the hill. We hit the middle and KOM surges by me followed by Ronnie. I catch Ronnie after a bit but there is no way in hell I’m catching superman.

Back down through Puyallup/Sumner we have some semblance of a tailwind. It’s more like a swirling head/side/tailwind.

All in all excellent day – Tom brought his rain jacket that makes the rain stop, John didn’t have any flats with his Michelins, Ronnie didn’t bonk….nor did he win any signs, Chet and Chris made Dad appear again this week.

Signs – Pacific (Chris) Sumner (Chris) Puyallup (Chris) Pacific (Chris)

Ok so the only one that was contested was the Pacific sign…but I’ll take what I can get!

Peace/Grease see you guys at Marymoor Park next week for the Flying Wheels ride…
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 08:52:37 PM by ckaiz » Logged
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 10:34:16 PM »

Those interested...we are meeting 0730 tomorrow 6/9 @ Marymoor park for the Flying Wheels Century
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length