Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 10:08:41 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: SMF - Just Installed!

+  WCT members-only forum
|-+  Wheelsport Rides, Bike info, etc
| |-+  Weekly team rides
| | |-+  Ride Summaries - 2011
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Ride Summaries - 2011  (Read 7757 times)
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 03:51:52 PM »

Here’s a surprise: the weather folks were predicting rain.  As we arrived, there were scattered dark clouds to the south and east.  There was a patch of scattered blue to the southwest.  Airplanes taking off to the south, duly noted.  Chris, Chet, Ron, Tom and I headed south into a slight breeze.  Tom suggested Browns Point and immediately turned right.  We rode past the golf course, over the bridge and up Kent West Hill. 

This is a new route to me.  Well OK, we’ve come back this way a few times.  This is a warm-up?  Start climbing hills after one mile of flat?  Tom explained that this is an “Old Wheelsport Route.”  Keep climbing, then left on Pac Hwy.  Tom asks if we want to loop through Redondo?  Ron, who is up front, said “Sure.”  Immediate right turn and we are coasting down the winding hill.  I’m a little geographically challenged in this area of King County, but I’m thinking we may have some serious climbing ahead.  It’s early in the season, but I suppose now is as good as anytime, to start getting my climbing legs in shape.

Up we go, steep but not too long…flatten out and around a corner, then a steeper and longer climb.  Tom and I drop to the back of the separating climbers.  Tom announces that he is going to ease up a bit., then indicates that it seems early in the season to get the climbing legs going, but today is as good a day as any to start.  Humm.  While we ride a short flat section, Tom says the next stair step is steeper and longer…and so it goes.  Chet takes the KOM, followed by Ron and Chris.

The ride was uneventful to the Cliff House where we took a short break.  Tom’s heart rate has been at 168 for the last hour…who picked the route?

We head down the hill and toward my dreaded railroad crossing.  This is the first time on this route since my crash last April.  Will the track dragon attack me again?  I’m really apprehensive.  I went to the front and let everyone know that I’ll be slowing way down for the tracks.  Yes, the track angle is really bad, the track slot looks enormous, and I’m reliving the moment in my head as I successfully cross the tracks.  It’s a good day!

We battled the now intense headwind to the Fife freeway crossing.  On River Road, West Valley Hwy, and through Sumner/Pacific we really enjoyed the boost from the now tail wind.  Great Fun!

As we rolled into the parking lot, I felt a rain drop, then another.  Load the bike, make the turn out of the parking lot, and the sky just opened up!  The rain dumped all the way home.  Excellent!

44.02 miles, 16.9 average       

See you Saturday.

John W.

John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 01:26:38 PM »

The common five; Chris, Chet, Tom, Ron and I began with the usual discussion of where to go.  The wind was out of the south…so what else is new?  Going south has gotten boring.  Tom suggested Tiger Mtn.  We climbed last week, and I was just notified that I have a “Fair” chance of moving from the RAMROD waiting list, to the rider list.  I better start getting into climbing shape.  Let’s go!

Going up the Interurban Trail toward Renton we noticed that the STP riders are starting to appear.  The usual down canyon headwind buffeted us as we went up the Cedar River Trail.  We traded long pulls, and when we got to that section, about half way, where it gets a little steeper and a road goes over the top…Ron was on the front!  I pedaled along behind him for a few moments, when suddenly above his head…a light bulb appeared and turned on!  A cartoon bubble replaced the bulb: “Huh? How did this happen?  I’m on the front!”  After a couple seconds of indecision, he moved to the left and faded to the rear.  I don’t think the other guys noticed.

We wound up through Maple Valley, right on May Valley Road, left on Hobart-Issaquah and I called a brief standing nourishment break.  Right turn, and up Tiger Mountain (north to south).  KOM to Chet, I was the sweeper…     

We headed through the Maple Valley rollers and back to the Cedar River Trail.  With a small tailwind, we headed toward Renton.  We traded pulls after Chet’s initial massive pull.  As I led the group through Renton, Tom asked, “Why aren’t we just reversing the “normal route?”  “Tom, I’m on the front, and our normal route utilizes a number of One Way streets.  If you want to go that way…you lead, and I’ll be on the back!”

Honk, Honk!  As he followed the car in front of him around the corner to the right, the driver hollered; “You don’t have any license tabs on those bikes!”  “Stay out of my way!”  Huh?  I don’t get it.  This guy has issues!  We didn’t impede him in any way.  We had been at the red light for a minute or more before he arrived, and he was the fourth or fifth car to turn right.  Was he really driving an environmentally conscious, hybrid sedan?  He has a problem with cyclists, and license tabs?  We should total up how many license tabs we (our households) pay as a cycle team – put me down for eight.  I’m willing to bet that this group pays license tabs on a lot of vehicles.  (Two of mine are trailers, and I didn’t count the tab on the boat).  Maybe our jerseys should state that we are “Official Sponsors of the WA DOT,” or maybe, it would be more effective across the back of our shorts…

Passing under the RR Tracks at the Tukwila Park & Ride, there was a guy kicking aluminum cans to the side of the road.  A can collector who’s plastic bag broke.  After we rode past, we discussed the game of “Kick the Can.”  Aren’t you supposed to only have one can?  This looked more like a Kick the Can Driving Range.  What are the official rules of kick the can?

Southbound on the Interurban, into the now much stronger headwind, as a group we were starting to fade…

57.18 miles, 17.7 average, and ascent of 1,983’

Two final thoughts for this week: First, thanks for the e-mails and comments regarding the ride reports.  Yes, I got a little behind in sending them out…I’ll do better.  Second, in the past, some guys have observed that they are often “picked-on” in the report.  Chet has noted in my defense; “Some guys just provide more and better material than others.”  So after the ride yesterday, when Chet commented, “I like reading about what actually happened on the rides”  I’m concerned!  Dude, you were on the rides…

See you next week.

John W.

John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 01:49:04 PM »

Subject: Saturday, April 9 ride, WCT midwest

I left my apartment late for the ride, at about noon and decided to do an easy solo ride. Riding through construction, I headed North to Sartell. Once there, I lost my way and started back South on 134 which was closed due to flooding. Rolling around a subdivision, I stopped a lady walking her dog to ask how to get back to St. Cloud. "You're in St. Cloud," she said. Ok, I asked, "How do I get back on Veterans Ave?" She didn't know exactly but suggested I try a certain complicated route. I told her I didn't really want to try a route. I then asked her which way was North. She didn't know. I thanked her and found Veteran's Ave at the next intersection. This is why men don't stop to ask directions! Nice ride though. 62 degrees, little wind. Third ride for the season out of St. Cloud.

I may be in town for the April 19 meeting at EBB.
Hope it works out and I can see you there!!

Marshall

John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 02:01:49 PM »

Sun 4/10/2011 5:55 PM
Nice report. I don't get the last part though.
Marshall

-------------------------------

Sun 4/10/2011 6:03 PM
I tried to restrain myself until Marshall sent in a ride report from 
Minnesota.

All rides start near Akahele Rd and lower road of West Maui and 
usually head clockwise around West Maui.

All rides in dry and mostly sunshine of 82deg.  The trip to Lorraine's 
at Kahakuloa  is about 35mi and 3000 vertical - very little flat.

Rode everyday but one since 4/3, with 2 complete West Maui loops.   
Ride today to Lorraine's was with a nice group of Stan G, Woody 
C, Chris S, Geo G, Toni, Mitch.

Tomorrow Hana, Wed Haleakala, Friday Keokea.

John McK

-----------------------------

Sun 4/10/2011 6:12 PM
Best ride report of the year! Thanks for the laugh John!
Chris K

------------------------------

Sun 4/10/2011 6:53 PM
I think Ron clocked 70+ miles Saturday as well. The fab 5 welcome anyone who decides to show up and ride.
Chris K

---------------------------

Sun 4/10/2011 10:55 PM
Great ride report, John.
BTW, here are the rules (wikipedia, of course) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kick_the_can
Chris H.

--------------------------

Sun 4/10/2011 11:31 PM
Freight train,

Omg, just because you write a ride report before Thursday, look at all of the attention you're getting. The point of asking about ride reports was to see if you wanted to switch off writing the report once in awhile. Since Marshall has moved to the frigid Midwest (unlike our frigid and wet Northwest) you've been doing the ride report with Chris and myself filling in when you're MIA. Now what I really said was, "I'm always curious what you write in the ride report." Because between the three of us, there is never a normal ride if one of us writing the ride report.
And the funny thing is, each of us may see the ride in a completely unique way. Finally, we love writing about the odd things during a ride.

So, if you can't get your homework done before the next ride, let us know, we'll help. Also, you see how much attention you get when you turn your work in on time.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. With all of the emails that have been sent in after your ride report, I had to laugh.

Nanook of the north

John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 03:09:22 PM »

Wind from the south had the flags around town standing out straight.  Chet, Chris, Tom and I discussed the various south end route options.  Chris suggested Lakeland hills.  I mentioned that we could add Victor Falls, and come back on the Orting Hwy…after all; Chet was wearing his “wedding dress white” jacket, the same one that he was wearing on the famous “mud flinging” ride of a year or so ago. 

The pace line was tight as we headed south into the wind.  I noticed that Tom’s rear fender wasn’t on straight, it never is, but now it is really crooked.  It didn’t appear to be rubbing the wheel.  I started thinking about calling him “Grandpa Catawampus,” but I don’t think he has grandchildren.  He’s a teacher…”Professor Catawampus” might work.  Just then, a full spray hit me in the face from his wheel…the fender was so crooked that the buddy flap was useless.  Humm, if I can maneuver Chet into position behind him on the Orting Hwy…let’s hope it’s muddy today.

Awhile later, I realize that we are past any usual route to Lakeland Hills.  Chris seemed to be the man with the plan.  Left turn the first street beyond Hwy 410, wind around awhile, daffodil fields on the left.  Right turn and we are heading toward the Victor Falls climb.  As we started the climb, Chris said, “Stay left at the split.”  Left?  I’ve never gone left.  Tom said he would take it easy…I stayed behind him.  Chet took KOM.

Chris guided us through more turns and I have no idea where we are.  Lake Tapps appeared on our left…there will be no Orting mud flinging today.  We traded pulls into the wind…it always seemed to be facing us.  The road was wet in places.  Suddenly, Chet moved to the left of Tom, and mumbled something about his fender.  A small victory, but I’ll take it!

The big decent from Lakeland Hills to the valley was wild.  The wind came from all angles.  Tom tapped his breaks from time to time, I did too. 

Riding up the Interurban, we enjoyed the tailwind at conversational pace.  Tom explained the academic differences between sprinters and distance runners.  The distance guys always get better grades.  Tom said, “The distance guys have to work harder, and the work ethic seems to carry over into the academics.”  I guess I should be happy about not having explosive speed…

45.2 miles, 17.5 average.

John W.

A special note for the WCT guys in Hawaii and Arizona.  As you ride in the 80+ degree heat, contemplate that while I was on a solo ride yesterday…it hailed.  Doesn’t that just sound refreshing?
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 07:35:45 PM »

Ok- Thursday and Friday were pleasant. So I checkout the wx on the iPad and a rain cloud is scheduled for the next six days. Two nice days, followed by this years normal forecast.....rain....great. So Friday evening, on goes the rear fender I was hoping I could be rid of.

Saturday morning I look outside and find dry pavement and the temperature above 50. I load the gear with the beginning of a light sprinkle and head south. Umm, I don't need the heater on and I've actually cracked open the window. It's still lightly sprinkling by Northgate but definitely clearing the further south I drive. By the time I hit the parking area it's actually balmy. I actually might ditch the vest or jacket today (a first for a Saturday ride).

Chris drives up and starts giving me crap about wearing mostly black today, saying I've definitely got things backwards (last week I wore white knee warmers and shorts when the wx was our typical windy and rainy.... I was being optimistic last week). Chris brought his Felt and not his rain bike, so off goes my rear fender.....if I'm getting wet, were all getting wet. John arrives, shortly followed by Ron. As John gets out of his car, we all have to shade our eyes. He's just wearing shorts....the reflection from those massive bleach white timbers is blinding. I don't think they've seen sun in years. It takes 5-10 minutes for the rest of us to feel our way to our sunglasses for some relief. That's saying something, considering Ron already had his on.

After recovering from our temporary blindness, the million dollar question arrives. Where are we going??? North....is the first shout out. Nice day and even without Tom here, we can see the plane at SeaTac are landing north. Next.... Almercerki island is blurted out. What?Huh Chris wants to go to Mercer Is. and Ron wants to go to Alki. Now the debate begins.......because, just a few weeks ago we did the Mercer Is. ride, so Ron wanted to go to Alki, but because Chris wasn't there......

So off to Mercer Is. we go (Ron, thanks for being so flexible). As we get going the winds in our nose and it's still a bit cool. I'm happy to have arm and knee warmers on and wondering how
Ron's doing with just his bibs and jersey. We share pulls till Seward Park for a short stop. By the time we hit Lake Washington blvd. We realize everyone that has a bike is out today. It's pretty crowded the rest of the ride. I was almost hoping it would rain again (really a selfish thought....because we generally have the road to ourselves when it's wet and crappy out). But it was great to see so many out kicking the dust off of their bike and themselves.

Just before leaving the Island, we make a quick stop to adjust John's seat and for the rest of us to get rid of some extra layers (finally riding in the sun without arm or leg warmers feels great). After crossing the Island and just starting our turn south (now with a tailwind) we misplace John. Chris where's John?? I don't know! Ron have you seen John?? He's back there a bit! Ok, John's easily 6'6" and 220. How in the hell did we misplace him?? He's not called the the freight train because of size alone. Waiting and some more waiting................................
Finally, John arrives......flat?....spill?.....drop something?.....traffic?(there a ton of people as I've mentioned)....lost?...........................
Nope!.........phone call...
Seriously? Yap!
John's son is trying to get an apartment.................needs John to run over........something about a cashiers check........he and his buddy............
Well at least John's upright and rolling and yes, we finally have our tailwind.

The rest of the ride is great. The wind's at our backs, it's warm.

Just before James street (where we usually say bye to Ron and we head home for the barn), I tell Ron I'll ride with him a little further because it's so nice out. John heads to the parking lot to catch up with his son, Chris does a u-turn and catches up with Ron and myself on the trail. We skirt the little leaguer's and their followers next/to and across/on the trail as we head south. About 2/3rd's of the way out, Chris and I decide to do a 180 and head back. Bye Ron, thanks for the ride, but we're bailing and heading home. Oh ya, the wind. It was back. Funny how you sort of forget about that little item when it's behind you.
Leaning into the wind we're making some progress until "kapowee", right at Emerald Downs (dang it, we almost made it back). My rear tube split. A quick fix and finally we're back to the parking lot.

Overall, a nice day. Chris said we were out there for 53 miles. Again, thanks for the great company and the opportunity to ride with the group. See you in a few weeks.

CJ
Tom Frank

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 09:33:11 PM »

Who will be riding next Sat. 6/4 from Russell Road?
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 10:30:58 AM »

John rode in, Ron rode in, Tom & Chris apparently slackers.....drove in

After much discussion as always...which way are the planes taking off, tidal flow, and the planet alignment - off to Mercer we went.

A terrific headwind greeted us heading north. Trading pulls we were having a nice run up the trail and into downtown Mercer Island - We headed to the coffee shop soaked up some rays and some java. The discussion turned to doing the Flying Wheels ride on June 11th (http://shop.cascade.org/content/events/flying-wheels-summer-century ) - also discussed was the Island loop and whether to head back the same way or to do Lake Washington Blvd - LOTS OF PEOPLE out today - parks were packed - we opted to do the loop and head back the same way we came through Coulon.

Ron lead out of the coffee shop and had some directional issues - John....the coffee shop guru had a lock on where we were and where to go - follow the locomotive!! Had a fantastic pace heading around the island - John was up front and must have had the barista supercharge that coffee.

I jumped on the Renton sign early - Tom and Ron gave chase......sort of - I hear Tom hollar "you can have it" what Huh I figure 4 weeks off you would have nice fresh legs Tom.. Cheesy

With the wind at our backs from then on we got on the throttle again and had a quick return through Kent. Our clip in sprint for the sign we had lined up 4 wide.....I never seem to be able to clip in on this sign but this time I was able to leave the crew in the dust.

Tom and I said our farwells to John/Ron and headed back to the lot - 50 miles for us not sure what our avg was - but i'll guess it was 18.5 -

No mechanicals - no wrecks - at one point i saw a reader board that said 78 deg. fantastic day with our fearsome foursome!

Chris

Tom Frank

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 10:26:28 PM »

Who is serious about flying wheels? I am considering the 65 mile.
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 08:36:09 PM »

I'll join ya Tom
Tom Frank

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 06:38:36 PM »

How about meeting at our regular place at 8 am and car pooling to Marymoor?
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 10:42:11 PM »

Wheelsporters....

John, Tom, Ron & Chris will be doing the Flying Wheels ride this Saturday. Tom and Chris will leave the Russell Rd park at 0700 in order to make the registration at 0730 for the century ride. We will meet John and Ron at Marymoor Park. Anyone else interested in joining us it is $45 to do the ride. Let us know if you are planning on going and we will make sure we all get together for the ride.
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 08:03:08 PM »

This week, the regular Saturday ride guys decided to do the Cascade Bicycle Club’s Flying Wheels ride.  Tom, Chris, Ron and I met at the Marymoor Park, picked up our entry packets and rode under the Start Banner 8:10 am.  We spotted John McK before the start.  He was riding separately with a buddy.

A short four plus miles later, we head up Inglewood Hill Road.  I announced that “I’m going to take this easy”…Chris motored away, saying we would re-group at the top.  I lost sight of him.  As I crested the top, Ron was on my wheel and Tom was a short distance behind.  Soft pedaling…where’s Chris?  Soft pedal, looking up and down the side streets, soft pedal, where‘s Chris?  Ron said, “He must be in that group several hundred yards ahead.”  I see lots of visibility green, yellow, and red jerseys ahead.  The three of us agree that he must be ahead...we motor up the road.

The route takes us up some rather healthy hills that I didn’t really expect, followed by really fun (40 mph) downhill runs.  The Wheelsport boys are flying.  Chris is younger, fast up-hill, and we are not catching him.  Ron is convinced Chris is in front of us.  We motor on.  At about mile 25 my cell phone is ringing…I ignore it since we are climbing a hill.  A few miles later at the first rest stop, no Chris?  Check the phone, yep he called.  Call him back…you guessed it, he was circling on one of the side streets when we went by.  Tom and I wait at the rest stop for him to arrive.  Ron continued on with some of his other riding buddies…never to be seen the rest of the day.

The Chris, Tom, and I continue, working together and taking advantage of some reasonably fast pace lines.  The route took us through rolling hills and beautiful flats.  We have no idea where we are but we’re enjoying the ride.  Left turn, right turn and up a steep hill that we did earlier in the day.  I’m on the front, the driver of a stake bed landscaping truck pulls up to me, and starts lecturing me about how I should stay in the bike lane.  I’m in the bike lane; he is also in the bike lane and getting closer, just inches from me.  I looked down at the line, he realized he was in my lane, corrected his course, and continued ranting.  I have no idea what set him off.  “You should try driving a BIG TRUCK like this sometime, it’s not easy!”  I thanked him for the feedback (without pointing out that I spent 16 years in the Teamsters Union…and that’s a Tonka Truck you’re driving). 

A mile or so up the road, we caught another rider who jumped on.  Then as we pass another (local) couple, I hear a conversation behind me.  Tom hollers, “We made a wrong turn!”  The four of us turn around and head back the other way.  Put us down for some climbing and mileage. 

Chris and Tom dropped me on the final “big climb” to the Issaquah Plateau.  We re-grouped at the final rest stop at the top of the hill.  We flew down the hill to East Lake Sammamish Parkway and cruised to the finish line.  A very good day!

106 miles, 18.4 mph, ascent 4,173’

See you Saturday.  All are welcome.

John W.       

ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 10:12:05 PM »

After a long period without a ride report.......here we go  Shocked

August 13th 2011 -
Chet, Chris and newcomer Rod converged upon the parking lot....John out (taking care of family issues) Tom out, Ron out.....

We decide to head north to Mercer and along the way needing some hill work changed direction to Alki. Rod and Chet hit it off talking about Florida and where they lived there as we motored north with a glorious tailwind. Monster Hill - Rod took off Chet in chase mode....can this happen? Chet quickly caught and showed his superior hill climbing skills. I brought up the rear thinking I really need to work on climbing. We made quick work getting to Alki and had a quick bite and drink then powered out and up over Admiral Way. We....ya right....Chet took the lead and blasted through the headwind at a brisk 21-23 mph pace - Rod, Chet and I churned out the rpm's back to the parking lot and ended our day with 46 miles and a respectable 19.1 avg.

Rod is one of two riders who may be joining us (they ride with the Bonney Lake Bike Shop) - He's quite a strong rider....danged if he's a teacher too. SO Tom will have someone to talk to now LOL -

See you next week!

....Our deepest condolences go out to John and his family with the passing of his mother.
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 09:54:04 PM »

The best weather we’ve had all year!

We have Ron and John riding in from home….Chet and I enjoyed our drive in.

I called Maple Valley/Gorge – haven’t done that ride in quite a while. The fearsome foursome head out and up the trail towards Auburn. John decided to play chicken with an F-150…just to get his heart rate up apparently. Heart rate under control we headed through Auburn via a downtown detour. Once out to Hatchery Rd. Chet made his way out to the front and pulled us all the way to the top of the hill. We headed into Black Diamond stopping at the gas station to top off our water. Pretty uneventful ride from there back to the parking lot. We all shared some strong pulls -  John split off and finished his impressive 70+ mile ride…Ron split off and did the same. Chet and I cruised back to the parking lot.

51 miles 18.7 mph avg

Excellent ride guys….and it was Chets 55th birthday ta boot!

See ya’ll next week!

Chris
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length