Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 08:57:54 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: SMF - Just Installed!

+  WCT members-only forum
|-+  Wheelsport Rides, Bike info, etc
| |-+  Weekly team rides
| | |-+  Ride summaries - 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Ride summaries - 2010  (Read 17122 times)
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 04:45:38 PM »

Hazy sky, mid-forties and predicted mid-sixties forecast, greeted Dave B, Chris, Christian, Tom, Thien, Rod, Little Ron, and myself.  Pre-ride conversation sounded like we were heading to Cougar and/or Tiger mountains for some climbing.  Ron and Tom lead us toward the Interurban Trail.  Once on the trail, Tom announced an amended ride plan, north to Coulon Park, I-90 to Mercer Island, around the south end of the island, over to Leshi for coffee, then back on Rainier Avenue.

Over the last couple of months Christian has taken up a program of drinking large quantities of water for the health benefits of it.  As we tooled up the Interurban, Sir Peesalot requested a break at the first opportunity.  We stopped at Jack in the Box.  During the stop Christian managed to recruit two guys Jym and Doug, who had also stopped, to ride with us.  Jym is from Tacoma, Doug from Bellevue.  They were on a limited time schedule but expressed interest in riding with us in the future.  They rode with us to Coulon Park before turning around.

As we headed north from Coulon on the trail, I anticipated a sprint for the Bellevue sign, which would be the opposite of the southbound Renton sign.  I accelerated up a small rise from the back of the pack only to realize that there is no Bellevue sign.  Evidently, Bellevue isn’t quite as proud of itself as Renton is…

We beat ourselves to death crossing over the wetlands on the bumpy elevated trail.  Dave B. decided to travel straight across Mercer Island while the rest of us went around the south end.  The curvy road and quick pace (21 to 25 mph) made for a fun stretch of riding. Christian dropped off at the south end of the island and commented later that it’s a long up hill climb by yourself.”  Everyone agreed that it felt like its all uphill.

After meeting up with Dave at the Leshi coffee shop we headed back.  On Lake Washington Blvd, south of I-90, Tom was on the front followed by Rod, and myself.  In the distance, maybe a mile out, was a solo rider going fast.  Tom had a rabbit to chase.  Tom cut the distance in half, Rod got to about 100 yards, I picked up the pace slightly and got to about 40 feet when the rabbit looked over his shoulder, gave me a ‘This isn’t gonna’ happen” look, stood and sprinted off.  I had a decision to make, go get him, stay here and slowly burn him up, or let someone else take him.  (Side note: ask little Dave how it feels to have the WCT chasing you down.)  This is a group ride; we stay together, so I pulled over to let someone else get him.  Christian was on my wheel and clearly didn’t want to pass anything, except maybe water.  Nobody went by…I backed the pace down one mph and held it steady pacing the rabbit.  Moments later, Tom and Rod came from the back of the line, I jumped on and the WCT ate the guy for lunch.  He was clearly not happy, at the Stop sign/right turn; he sprinted by and up the hill…

Tom took the Renton sign on Rainier.  Excellent un-sung pull of the day awards go to Ron & Chris.  Thien and Dave B. are both returning to summer riding shape…look out!

52.2 miles, mostly winter pace.

See you next Saturday!

John W.
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 12:44:36 PM »

Although we had a rather light turnout with 6 riders, all got a good workout.
Tom F, John, Christian, Ron, Kurt and I headed South to do the Puyallup loop.

We wanted to go down the Trail but doubled back to go down West Valley. All had fender bikes except Tom who was on his Kestrel. Wet but no rain.

Travelling South, we encountered a nasty headwind that blew a bit from the side. No hiding. Just a lot of work. We traded pulls keeping it in the 18-19 range. 

The trip up River Rd was tough, John beating out Ron in the sprint. Word has it that 28mph will do it. I latched onto Tom's wheel and tried to echelon off to his right but he kept it too close to the shoulder. We still ran about 22 until the bridge.
Soon after, Tom flatted and we stopped the train. Several complained that they were suffering a bit today. My legs were lead.

Up Puyallup hill, we kept it easy as again, we had a headwind. I fell off the back unable to make my legs go around or my old trusty Trek go forward. I don't know who won the climb but suspect it wasn't a race. Maybe it was Kurt.

We flew down the hill into Puyallup and grabbed a quick coffee at Forza's.
The return was pretty uneventful and our nice anticipated tailwind died out completely.

It started to rain as we pulled into the parking lot. John won 1 sprint, Ron another and Tom the third.

We rode a total of 45 miles @17.3.

Very good job everyone.

Happy Easter!
Marshall
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 01:25:53 PM »

Chris, Christian, Kurt, Ron, Tom, Emile, and I assembled for this ride.  Tom suggested his “Easy Cougar Mountain” route.  Christian said, “Lead the way.”  A strong wind from the north had all the flags in the area stretched out as we battled up the Interurban at 16 to 17 mph. 

We took a brief stop at Coulon Park before continuing north and across the 405 by the Denny’s.  Left and up to the Shell Station - where we took shelter from the lighting storm during last year’s Livestrong Challenge.  Emile said, goodbye and turned back. 

Our route wound around and up past the Newcastle City Hall, continued up around the golf course, and then up to Cougar Drive or Way, or what ever it is.  Right turn and up.  We’ve been doing lots of up, not brutal up, just lots of up.

We re-grouped at the top of the hill by a school.  Tom said we would descend via the two and a half mile Zoo Hill.  Away we went.  I followed the group and quickly passed Ron and was gaining on the Tom when it felt like I went air-born…Whoa, this hill has some large bumps and ruts that are scary at 45 mph!  Touch the breaks and keep it under control.  There was a sound ahead that Tom later described as the call of a Yellow Bellied Warbler.  The real cause of the sound…Christian had excess grease oozing from his freshly greased hubs…running down a spoke and onto the wheel rim.  Nice...

Chris led around a sharp left, Christian and Kurt followed riding abreast.  Christian appeared to slide on some gravel, Kurt went wide and slid off onto the dirt shoulder.  He appeared to have recovery well in hand.  As I negotiated the turn and flew by, Kurt was obviously not in control yet.  He continued riding down into the bottom of the six-foot deep ditch.  He stayed up, finally rolling to a stop in the muck at the bottom.  Nice save!  No damage, no injury.  Ron flew by wishing he had a camera…it would have made the highlight reel. 

Ron started to bonk, a quick Clif Bar and on to Factoria.  Tom bought coffee for all because he had a Starbucks gift card he wanted to use up.  Thanks Tom!  Let it be known, anyone wishing to use up a gift card is strongly encouraged to ride with us. 

On the ride back to Russell Road, we were driven by the flag flappin’ tailwind…

The stats: 46.2 miles, 16 mph average, and 2748’ of ascent.

See you next week.

John W.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:07:25 PM by John W » Logged
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 12:05:08 PM »

Marshall, Chris, Chet, Tom, and I assembled for the ride.  Marshall suggested the Cedar River - Black Diamond Loop, and away we went.  As we approached Renton, Marshall announced that he was not feeling well and was turning back.

Tom, who has been in the mood to climb hills lately, suggested that we change the ride to his Easy Cougar Mountain route.  All agreed, and so we picked our way through the streets and every red light in Renton, on the way to Coullon Park.

After a quick stop, we headed north and over the freeway and up the hill.  Chet took the early lead and kept it to be KOM of this ride.  We encountered a few raindrops, but certainly not enough to justify the fenders I was sporting.

There was a dramatic increase in the numbers of other riders on the road this week.  Folks must be training for the STP.

Heading back down the Lake Washington Trail, Chet picked-up the pace…he’s learning where the signs are, meaning the days of easy sign wins might be over.  Chris went after him and the sprint was on.  Chris closed a good-sized gap, but at the sign it looked like Chet by half a bike length.  Tom and I enjoyed the show.

Chris picked-up the Kent sign near Ikea.  I peeled off the group a little early to head home.  If Marshall goes home early, I have to ride home.

It was an excellent ride, estimated group distance 46 miles, 16+ average, and 2750 ascent.

See you next week!

John W.
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 12:22:32 PM »

Rain bikes were the machines of the day.  Tom, Ron, Thien, Chet, Ryan T, and I, set off into brisk headwind to do the Brown’s Point ride.  Riding south on West Valley the speeds were mainly in the 16 to 18 mph range.

Ryan led up Peasley Canyon, followed by Chet and Ron.  KOM honors are unknown to me as I was the last of this group of climbers.  We re-grouped at the top and continued.  I led the Pac Hwy section and found myself waiting for traffic to pass by before taking the left turn lane.  What was I thinking?  It was a VW bug…Chet and I later agreed that we could have dropped him at will.

Ryan led the fast stretch through Federal Way.  At the 7 Eleven, he flatted.  As Ryan worked on the tire, Thien asked, “How bad is the flat?”  I pointed out that there are basically two types of flats, one where there is no air in the tire, and another where there is seriously no air in the tire.  Ryan commented that it’s like being sort of pregnant.

On to the Cliff House for a brief stop.  Down the hill and onto the flats at speeds approaching 30 mph.  As we bled the speed down to around 23, Tom took the lead for a strong pull into the ever-present headwind.

At the first set of railroad tracks my personal disaster happened.  Riding at the back of the line, I moved left to straighten out my crossing of the tracks.  Suddenly I realized that a car was very close to my left.  A little hop got me over the first rail.  My second hop missed, the front tire hit the rail, slid to the right, wrenched the bars out of my hands and down I went.  Somehow my right shoulder hit first and I felt my collarbone break.  Then my head hit the pavement.  The helmet did its job and took the impact. 

All stopped and we debated what to do.  Knowing that my wife would be in Seattle, I agreed to wait while the guys sprinted back to get a car and come get me.  Ron stayed with me.  I also heard the reassuring words: “Your bike is Ok.”  Whew, that’s a relief!

After a while a couple of motorists stopped and offered aid.  One family, in a big pick-up; (Jerome, Trisha, and their young son Jerome Jr) offered to drive me back to Kent.  By this time the macho part of me was being taken over by the part saying, ‘Get to the hospital, they will make it feel better.”  Ron opted to ride home solo.

In transit, I called my wife to meet me in Kent…the pain was really getting intense.  At an intersection, another pick-up with a large trailer cut us off.  Jerome said something to the effect of, “Just crowd in on me.” I couldn’t help saying, “Guys in big pick-ups.”  Trisha really laughed.

Jerome and Trisha waited at Russell Road with me until my wife arrived.  They are truly angels among us.  I found out that he was also a volunteer firefighter and trained as an EMT.  My wife left a note for the guys letting them know she had picked me up.  Chet called my cell as I was walking into the Emergency Room…Wow you guys really flew back!

The excellent staff at Valley Medical confirmed that my injuries are limited to a broken collarbone and some minor cuts and scrapes.  The pain management measures are really helping.  My arm is in a “shoulder immobilizer,” which is medical speak, for “a special type of arm sling.”  I’m thinking it means expensive.  Accordingly, I’ll be off the bike for a few weeks. 

Sunday I was really sore, this morning I’m feeling somewhat better and plan on a short day in the office.   

A heart felt thanks for everyone’s concern and kindness. 

By the way, one handed typing is really tough.

See you soon.

John W.

John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 07:14:38 PM »

Chet, Tim, Ron and I made up our small but great team this day. Looking for an easier ride, I suggested Flaming Geyser. No protests, we headed out. Our main train leader was Chet who needed a bit of a workout. Everybody traded pulls the whole ride. Chet doing the most work.  As usual, we had a headwind going and coming. At least the return was downhill! Well, sort of.

Ron won all the sprints, (2), because Chet doesn't know where the signs are. We're not telling! Good thing because he was on a slower bike than his Scott.

For those who are wondering, John is doing well all things considered. Prior to my trip to CA, we developed a training route for him for RAMROD. The ride is down to Geyser and up the long hill after the bridge. Back down halfway and up toward 169. Back down to the bridge and right up snake hill to 169.  Back down and up to K-BD road. John did this training ride once before his crash. 3700 ft of climbing. He called it the "Cloverleaf." Pretty quaint. Maybe we'll do it on a WCT ride someday. Everyone wishes John a speedy recovery. 

We rode 37.5 miles today @ 18.7mph ave. Glad to have Tim join us after a time off. Hope he returns again soon. All WCTer's welcome!!

See you Saturday.

Marshall
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:20:28 PM by John W » Logged
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 12:05:10 PM »

Saturday was one of the most beautiful days this year for a bike ride. Clear, cool and very little wind.

Christian, Tom, Chris and I started out to ride the Gorge but went up "twisted sister" hill to 169, Black Diamond Bakery instead. Everyone shared pulls along the way keeping the pace at 21-22 along Green Valley. Chris won all townline sprints with a great showing of surprise jumps and top speed.

We chased down a couple out of B-D and once we caught them Chris's chain fell off. We regrouped and caught them again passing at 24 and picking it up to 26+.   
Down Hatchery Hill we kept up the pace as best we could. Avoiding the nasty ruts and cracks we made it into Auburn. Excellent pacelines and leader transitions made this a fast yet non-strenuous effort. The absense of massive headwinds helped as well! The final climb of the day I pulled off on top with a cramping left leg. Good thing I got a jump because Tom and Chris were right on me.

Too bad more teammembers didn't make the ride today. All were missed. Great day, 44.5miles @18+mph. No incidents, drama or funny stories to report.

Marshall
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:20:58 PM by John W » Logged
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 01:23:55 PM »

Joining us were Tom, Thien, Ron, Rod, Christian, Tyler Beck and myself. Tyler hasn't ridden with Wheelsport for several years.

To celebrate Tyler's return, we decided to ride Cougar Mountain, climbing a total of 2375 ft with about 3 hours on the bike. Tyler hung in there pretty well. Great to have you join us, Tyler.  I blew up on the final climb but made it. The "cloverleaf" rides on Sunday and Wednesday out of Flaming Geyser have helped.

Thien was KOM, Tom right in there with Ron. Rod always in the mix. Thien won some sprints as did Tom. The Renton sprint started off way too early but it was a sight to behold. Tom, Thien and Ron were battling it out as if their lives depended on a win. Too bad they misjudged the sign location by about 100 yds! Great effort.

Someone on a blue bike passed me at one point so I jumped on his wheel at 23. He was trying to drop me and he gave me the "look." I passed him up the hill toward Renton. So did Christian. He may have been fast but he wasn't Wheelsport fast.

Coming down Oaksdale we turned on 196th to cross over to the Trail. Tyler was gone. I waited for him but he never showed. Must have taken a different route home, I hope.

Great ride. Everybody got their money's worth today.

See you all Tuesday night at Elliot Bay Brewing, 6:30pm! Prospective new members welcome.

Marshall
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 12:57:18 PM »

As you know, the weatherman changed the forecast to include rain in the am. Even though Chet blamed me, it was truly the WeatherChannel's fault. All that said, we had very little rain on the ride. I was wet from sweating under my rain jacket but not from rain.

Joining us was Chris Hanson, Tom Broznowski, Chet, Christian, Mark and his daughter, Madison, on a tandem and myself.  Tom has the nicest commuter bike I've ever seen which also has the brightest taillight. It makes one of those Planet Bike lights look like a flickering candle. 

We headed South on West Valley toward Sumner in a strong headwind. Generally, we kept the pace easy but gradually picked it up to the low 20's. Some had fenders. Some didn't. 

Toward the end of the southbound ride, Chet pulled to 22+ putting some of us in a bit of stress.

At the coffee shop, Mark and Madison returned home after a job well done. Great effort Madison! You're a real trooper.

The return gave us the tailwind we deserved as we rode our normal route through the Sumner industrial area, into Pacific and onto the Interurban trail.

There was one townline sprint into Pacific that was won by Christian. Chet went after him last minute but from my perspective, his effort proved futile. Christian by half a bike.  Nice try though! Had the sign been 20 ft further Chet would have taken it. By about 20 ft! He has a nitrous pack. A train blocked one of the crossings on the trail so we had to pick up and carry our bikes across. Hadn't seen this before. 

Thanks to everyone who came out today to say goodbye to Chris, who is moving to Italy for a couple of years to work on the 787. Have a great time. Wheelsport of Italy sounds great!

We rode just 30 miles at a moderate pace. Very fun ride.

See you next time.

Have a great Memorial Day!

Marshall
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 01:01:16 PM »

Marshall,

One of these days I'll try to figure which sign is which or ignore them altogether. I swear you guys keep changing their location or the rules. Is it possible to have a 1K, 500 meter and a finishing kite? I'm hopeless trying to figure it out. Where's big Dave? At least he'll give me a heads up. It's was great to see Tom (it's funny how you can not see somone for years and pick up as if it were yesterday) and Chris was great to talk to.

Stay healthy,

Bewildered in the south and damn glad it's a no drop ride or I'd be truly be forever lost.

CJ
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 02:48:07 PM »

Brown's Point today. 49.3 miles, 1789 vft climbing, ave 18mph.

WCT consisted of Chris, Rod, Tom Frank, Dave Bachman, Chet, Christian, Mark and Madison on the tandem, and myself.

We had a little tailwind southbound. Chris led out and picked the pace up to 18 or so. South on West Valley, we ran in the low 20's. Peasley Canyon was led out by Chet, Tom, Rod and Chris. Chris contested the lead from time to time. He'd pay for that effort later.  I was position 5 followed by Christian, the tandem and Dave. All hills were like this for the most part. The fast decents and corners were nearly the reverse order.

Most of the Dash Pt Rd was in the 30's. Somewhere, I hit 41.

The climb up to Brown's Point was as previously described. However, if you think there was a long wait for the big man, you'd be wrong. Dave pulled in seconds after the lead group. The tandem just ahead of him. Maybe 120 seconds or so but truly amazing.

Leaving Brown's Point, Chris led out for a minute until the tandem started to wind out. OMG, here we go again! 35+! Christian said, "get the tandem's wheel!" Well, with Dave coming down at me, I let it go and got onto Dave's wheel.

Most of the way back was 25+ in the flats. Tom, leading, Christian, then me, pulled to 28+, gapping Christian. I bridged the gap and passed. Pretty fun but I was a little tired.

Tom did it again on levee Rd and I held on for the most part , Chet on my wheel. Bragging a bit on myself but if not me then who? The return up West Valley was a bit windy and the team was suffering by this point. All our townline sprinters and KOM's were a bit tired except for Chet, who was looking for a workout. He kept it at 22 into the wind and they were dropping like flies. How I managed to keep on his wheel I'm not sure except that I cruised the climbs and watched the sprints.

We regrouped several times and Tom took us for a tour through an apartment complex and back onto the Green River Trail which is now about 4 inches wide due to the sandbags. My prediction is we'll never get a flood and the bags will be there at least 10 years.

I couldn't keep track of the sprints but saw some good ones. Rod took off after Chet but didn't catch. Dave contested several but came up short. Chris stole one or two as did I going into Kent. We called that a "clip-in" sprint; 50ft from the stoplight.

Clearly, Mark and Madison were outstanding on the tandem. Rod, who used to be "Big Roddy" is fit, fast and light. Dave, though still big, is most impressive and most inspirational. That new Campy Veloce "ultra-torque" crank will soon learn what its name means!  Tom was the best at pulling to high speeds. Chet was KOM and pulled us all back into the wind. I felt good about this ride, not killing myself and making it back to write this report.

Thanks to everyone who joined us on this glorious Northwest WCT day. Very fun ride!

Marshall
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 01:51:53 PM »

0 percent chance of rain. High upper 70's. Is this summer?  10 riders for the WCT ride: Rod, Ron, Kurt, Chris, Mark, Dave B, Dave, Tom F, Christian and I. We talked about the Gorge and everyone seemed to like that. However, we went North through Renton to add a few miles.

Chris led out a pretty fast warm-up on the Interurban. Someone flew by me on my left in the drops. Missed me by inches. Ron took off after him and I began the pull to catch. Ron caught and dogged him for awhile as we bridged the gap. We passed him and Ron jumped on, the lone rider as well for a while but he was finished.

Through Renton, we got on the Cedar River Trail to head to Maple Valley. Bikes aren't well liked on this trail and some old man tried to bat us with his hand as we went by. Rod had to move over to avoid him.  Probably not a WCT route for the future. They're trying to lower the speed limit to 10. They even have a radar speed indicator on the trail lying on its side. It flashed 17 when we passed. If they had walkers and joggers use he left shoulder like on the American River Trail in CA, they wouldn't have this problem of cyclists vs walkers. Regardless, we kept a brisk pace on the trail and Dave B started to come off. I went back to pick him up and we stayed together.

The climb out of the Trail to 169 was fought out with Ron on top.

On to Witte Rd. we soon ran into Maple Valley Days road closure and the end of the parade. After we made it through, Kurt flatted.

A long repair was made and we were off. Kurt was concerned because he had no tread left. Cord showing. He wanted to go home. Didn't know the way. Onto Kent Black Diamond Rd. and into town, the group kept going up the hill to 169. Dave B said he was through and going to the bakery. I decided to join him and caught the group to let them know. Kurt decided to go with us so the group officially fractured at that point.

After a brief rest, the three of us rode down Kent B-D Rd. to 218th and down to Green Valley. Guess who won the downhill? Kurt wanted to pull the flats and we couldn't get him off the front. I got him off once and he returned a few minutes later. We were running 21-22. Fast enough into a headwind. Through Kent and back to the parking lot, Dave and I were pretty spent. Kurt pulled off early to ride home.

The main group pulled in 20 minutes later. The Gorge added about 10 miles to the route: they did 61 and we did 51.

Mark won the climb out of the Gorge and the return was a blistering pace according to Christian. He said he heard whimpers coming from some riders on the rollers. The overpass on Greenvalley Rd. broke up the pack.

Super ride everybody. Thanks for coming out.

Keep in mind upcoming events:

Joe Matava, July 4. John McKain still needs corner marshals.

John McKain RAMROD ride July 8.

Emerald City Lights Bikeride, July 10, Kent.

Marshall
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 12:56:35 PM »

Marshall,
I know you like ride reports, so here it goes.

Got to the meeting spot a bit early just in case I needed to throw on a rear fender. When I left home the day looked promising, but the closer I got to Kent the worse it looked. The roads were all wet by the time I parked. On goes the rear fender (I'm not that fond of the squeaking front fender I have). Before long Tom and Christian show up followed by Kurt on his bike.

Tom says we're headed to the Cougar Mountain loop and we head out while it's raining. A few minutes in and I'm wishing I'd brought my booties, it's both wet and cool. Tom and Kurt are side by side on the trail ahead of Christian and I when all of a sudden Tom eases up and says he's calling it a day (mind you, we haven't been gone more then ten minutes and he's calling a mulligan. I thought Tom was supposed to be the "Chuck Norris" of this group. Apparently not today.)

Tom turns to go home and we catch up to a women getting ready for the Coeur D' Alene triathlon. Kurt spends most of the time riding and talking to her (hmmm!) while Christian explains to me Cold War secrets and other helpful training tips.

Before we could even get close to warming up, there's a one man pile up just past the nasty RR Xing. After being right next to John when he went down, all I could think was "collarbone". After we helped withdraw the guy from the pavement and collect all of his body parts, (apparently he had everything in working order) we where off again.

Soon we're back to the three of us and now headed to Lushi via Rainier Beach and past the Renton Airport. Without Tom letting us know which way the wind was blowing by watching the planes land at SeaTac (because you know he lives right next to the airport) we would have been lost (don't tell Tom, but I peeked while we rode past Renton Airport). So with the wind we rode.

We stop at Seward Park for a quick break and then head north on Kurt's wheel. It's not until I-90 that Kurt relinquishes the front of the line. We stop at Leshi for another quick stop and our turn around point for today.

South we head trading pulls into the wind. I'm surprised how few cyclist there are today (maybe just too crappy out). By the time we get back to Rainier Beach we need to stop. Christian's rear tire has a slow leak that requires a tube change. Luckily we're at a covered bus stop so I can watch Christian fix his tire in the wet.

Somehow Kurt and I got on the topic of other activities we do and I mentioned I have someone that helps me with my core stength. And that this person works me so hard that I would love to get my hands on his neck if I could only lift my arms high enough. Kurt says he feels the same way, staring at me (hmmm!).

With Christian up and running, we wind our way home taking the last few miles rather easy. Even though it was wet and wacky we were really close to 40 miles and by the end of the day, still in one piece.

Thanks again for letting me ride with the group and tell John W. to hurry up and get healthy,

Chet
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2010, 01:49:09 PM »

Thanks to everyone who turned out for the ride. Our 9 riders were: Chet, Thien, Ron, Dave B, Chris, Ryan, John McKain, John and Marshall.

This was John W's first WCT ride since his railroad track get-off 6 weeks ago. We did a route that crossed lots of tracks so verbal notifications were abundant and loud!

The route was Game Farm- Puyallup loop. My warm-up was a return to the car to lock it. Chet followed me and led me back to the group @ 22 mph.

Once together, we made it through Kent and onto Green Valley Road to Auburn. That sign was Ron's, Ryan in pursuit.

Too many sprints to remember this ride. Ryan led out a few times and I goaded Thien to go after him, which he did, successfully. Great job, Thien! Ryan also broke away on River Road, John W and I in pursuit. However, Ryan wasn't going for the sprint. He pulled into a parking lot for a bathroom break!  John McKain and Dave got ahead of us.

Onto Puyallup hill, the group began a strong pace to the top but soon fell apart. I dropped back to ride with Dave but he never appeared so I caught John W's wheel and we cruised up at a moderate pace keeping Chris in sight. Reports at the top of the climb were that John McKain, Ryan and Chet arrived together, followed by Ron, Thien, Chris, John W and me then Dave.

Some of us waited at the top for Dave and off we went. The huge downhill into Puyallup is Big Dave's domain and as we passed the lead group, I announced that they should get ready to be dropped. Ryan jumped at the challenge and beat the lights to stay ahead. On the screaming fast downhill, Dave passed a truck.

Puyallup was a drag race with Ryan out front and Chet, Thien, me and John M hammering to close. 

We regrouped and worked through the industrial section of Sumner. Chet led out and brought us up to 24+.

Back through Pacific there were numerous intervals and sprints for signs, banners, cracks in the pavement, you name it. Trying to confuse the ride reporter. It worked.

We stopped for water and food in Pacific and then got on the Interurban. Ryan went to climb Lakeland Hills.

The trail included many more surges and sprints.

Great ride and a lot of fun. Good interval workout.

Sprinters were: Chet, Ron, Ryan, Chris and Thien.

Most impressive: John McKain was very strong, took some super pulls and climbed with the lead. 

Best competitor goes to Chris and Thien. Chris is always ready for a challenge and Thien goes for all the breakaways even when his chain falls off. Twice.

Most determination? Well John W could get that award for his successful post-crash comeback but Big Dave edged him out for passing the truck on the downhill.

Best sportsmanship goes to Chet for helping make sure the group stayed together.

The ride was 51.5 miles @17.2mph. Everyone did an outstanding job.

Marshall
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2010, 01:44:13 PM »

"Mechanical malfunctions are us." Eight happy Wheelsport riders left the lot for a Game Farm-Victor Falls Route. Those riders were: Tom F, John W, Chris, Thien, Rod, Ron, Christian and Marshall.

John W forgot his water bottles. That sorted, off we went. Mechanicals started on the climb up Lakeland Hills. Thien's chain fell off but Christian's wouldn't shift and it was chain-sucking. Took awhile but we finally were underway up the hill.

We regrouped at the top and started our downhill. This is where the real fun began. I started picking off riders one at a time but had a car in the way. At 48mph, he signalled a right and brakelights came on. I had a 3 foot gap on his left and touched the brakes. Then the wobble started. Release the brakes. Wobble gets worse. I grabbed the top tube with my knees and nailed the brakes. Rod and John are blocking the road behind me and watching the show. My bike's in a death wobble that won't stop until: a. It bucks me off or: b. It stops. I'm thinking that the slower the better for a high-side get off. The moment before the inevitable, I plan on throwing it on its left side for a low-side crash. She bucks like a bull all the way to a dead stop. I yell out that my wheel has broken. But after a quick survey, nothing is wrong. I'm in the middle of the road and walk to the side. Someone says Tom is far behind. On his arrival, he explains that his bike has done exactly the same thing! This is the downhill from hell. Rod said he thought I was having some kind of seizure.

I'm a little gunshy but climb well out of the falls. The downhill leaves me dropped. We then ride onto Sumner for a coffee.

I leave my water bottle at Starbucks and Thien breaks a spoke. Tom makes an illegal adjustment and off we go. Thien is going for the sprints. A car turns in front and he brakes and swerves, shattering about 5 more spokes like glass. Funny thing is that Thien had yelled out to his leadout group to drop the rest of us.
Tom will go back to get him in the van.

We made it back to the parking lot, after Christian's chain fell off on 4th Ave. His rear tire was flat when I loaded it on the bike rack.

Perfect day! No rain. No wrecks! Everyone home safe. A bit hairy ride. I don't know what Tom is going to do but my bike is going to Ric at CT Monday for a check-up.

We rode 43.67 miles@ 16.9.

Chris got 4 signs, John got 2, Rod got 2, Ron got 1. Thien got 1.   Great job WCT riders!!

See everyone bright and early in Burien for the crit. It will be awesome!!

Next Saturday is the Emerald City Lights Bikeride from Kent. We'll meet at 9am Russell Rd Park and go into town to start the ride. 60 miles. Register online @ emeraldcitylightsbikeride.org. For $15 or day of ride for $20. Funds go to feed locals who can't buy food.

Marshall
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length