Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 10:08:13 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: SMF - Just Installed!

+  WCT members-only forum
|-+  Wheelsport Rides, Bike info, etc
| |-+  Weekly team rides
| | |-+  Ride summaries - 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Ride summaries - 2010  (Read 17173 times)
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2010, 12:08:58 PM »

Another light turnout - you guys afraid of some sunshine?
4 dedicated riders turned out today for a wonderful Fall ride - Tom, Chet, Ron & Chris
45 degree start so everyone was layering up - decided on the Mercer loop and headed out. Wishing I had another layer on.....

Chet & I took the lead as we headed north on the trail. We passed "John's Landing" and motored up through the city. Dropping down onto Rainier Ave. we got passed by a rabbit - let him go and we had a nice paceline going up to the Seattle sign. I had Ron on my right and as he jumped I did as well. Nice sprint but I edged him out for the victory - back to the paceline Chet decided the rabbit had been in front of us far too long and went after him. Ron, Tom and myself stayed back and took it easy going into Seward Park. Pealing layers off at the park we jumped back on and headed north to I-90.

Tom took the Renton sprint in an amazing display of pure speed...and totally wasted from our efforts to catch him we coasted into Coulon for a little break. On our way in we noticed a Fire Truck and group of cyclists on the side of the road. I was trying to see what had transpired as Chet pointed out that one of riders frames had seperated at the head tube....NO BUENO!!!

Coulon back to the trail we had a respectable pace going and then Chet dropped the hammer....25,26,27 hold on I think we found our tailwind!

Great ride - just under 2.5 hours 42.8 miles and with that last push from Chet we had a 17.8 mph average.  Grin
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 09:52:32 PM by John W » Logged
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2010, 10:12:35 PM »

Thanks for the update and the great report. Chris has been writing a report but it looks like he hasn't been sending it to you, one of the three guys on the ride! Not real sure how that happened since I included you on my Wheelsport email list.  So, I'll forward this to him and John so they get your address.  Keep up the great effort and thank you for your support!

Marshall

------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 05:26:37

Subject: Rides

Marshall, i don't know who's doing the rude reports now. I've been to the last two weekends. Two weeks ago the ride turned out to be Chris, Tom and I. We knew we were going to get wet eventually, so we headed south, into the eye on the storm. We got about 45 minutes till we got pelted by the rain. We made a u turn and headed back. It made for a short wet day. The only noteworthy event was Tom's specific details to Chris of how to buy fenders on line (the minute he got home) and how to attach them on  your bike in less then 45 seconds.  Amazing dialog from my view point. Drove home wet.

This week Chris, Tom, Ron and I made the ride. Cool but beautiful day. Chris called Mercer Island loop (hoping Tom wouldn't suggest Cougar mountain again). The wind, out of the north (because the planes are landing from the north according to someone that lives near the airport), Mercer Island was the choice. The breeze kept our speed in check and the constant ticking from Chris's bike was driving everyone nuts. Tom was taking a little longer to warm up today. We started to regroup as soon as we near the lake blvd. While waiting for Tom, a rider blew past Tom and the rest of us. We grabbed Tom and moved toward Seward. I knew we could grab the flyer up the road. Yet we sat up a few times before the rise to Seward. I knew we'd regroup at the park and paced up to rider on the fly. Reached him up the last rise and waited for everyone else on the downhill. Quick stop and over I-90 and the northside of the island and down to Renton. Just before the park by the airport we saw a nasty bike mishap on side of the road. There were three guys with neck braces and what looked like a Look frame broken right behind the head tube, We kept our fingers crossed the rest of day. The rest of the ride was with the wind and uneventful thankfully. I hope you find a couple of riders that you can match up with and please stay in touch.
CJ

ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2010, 09:53:35 AM »

10/23/10
I met Ron at his house and we rode together to Russel Rd. Park - we met Tom there and after mulling the weather patterns headed north. It had rained pretty hard from Ron's to the Park....but once we started north it ceased. Pretty uneventful ride to Coulon 3 abreast on the trail having good convo.  As we approached there was a pretty large team heading out. Stripped off raingear and headed back south -

We sat at the traffic light for quite a bit then if finally went green....clip in Kent sign ahead Ron and I tried for it - Ron had much better traction than I and won the sign valiently. Tom was still trying to get his bike going - a bit heavier than his carbon....

Good paceline thru the industial section of Kent - up and over the train tracks Tom said c-ya and we parted ways and headed back to Ron's - we were picking off SMT's (slow moving targets) along the way. Rolling through Pacific Ron leaned over and said ..."sprint sign" and got the overgrown Pacific sign! DANG!! We rolled into his 'hood and I was about to call it a day when he suggested we do another 8 into Sumner and back ---- we lightend up our load and headed into Sumner. He forgot about the Sumner sign around the corner and I finally had my sign for the day. Loop complete stripped off gear and headed home.

Ron/Chris 50 miles 16.8 avg
Tom Huh

Wish we could get more folks out on these rides - we keep telling the same stories & lies each week. Need some new ones to tell.

See you next week!

Chris
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 12:43:53 PM by John W » Logged
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2010, 03:24:40 PM »

Ok so we have NO FAITH in the ability of our weather forecasters!

Tom, Ron & Chris braved the elements again this week. Chris showed up with some new additions to his fenders.....so close but yet so far away from a perfect product. After heading out of the parking lot with a 41 degree and "light" rain - the "additions" to Chris' fenders were so obnoxious Tom said "did you put a jake brake on that thing?" Ok so another mod is in order....

We headed out towards Flaming Geyser - not a mile into the ride we were turning onto the Interurban when i thought Tom said go straight....Ron had slowed to turn right. Well we all know wet roads you don't stop well - i slammed on my rear brake (like it was going to do anything anyway) and kicked my left foot out to stabilize and slide to a stop. Whew....little bump into Ron and no harm done to either bike & i even stayed upright - Tom hollered out NICE SAVE and we headed down Interurban. Our ride progressed as did the rainfall - we held a real nice pace going out to the 4way stop before Flaming Geyser turned around and caught a slight tailwind and we were motoring around 20 mph back into Auburn. Ron broke off and headed for home, Tom and I continued back to the parking lot.
We ended up with just over 35 miles and a 17.7 mph avg - Weather was horrible, but as always good company riding and now I can steal some of the kids' candy tonight and not feal guilty about it. Great work Tom & Ron - See you guys next week!

Chris
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 09:27:39 PM by John W » Logged
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2010, 09:12:33 PM »

Alright, I know all of you are wondering, "who actually met for this Saturday's ride?". Anyone with any measurable IQ would have stayed home or gone to the coffee shop. Well, damn the weather gods and I had to see if my winterized bike was in order, if my newly purchased Hydro Sidi's actually were waterproof and I hadn't been to a group ride in 2+ weeks. I got to the usual meeting spot early about the same time as the heavy mist. I noticed a company pickup in the same area wondering if was Brian (I've only ridden with Brian once or twice so I wasn't sure what vehicle he drove). Reclining my seat I waited till 10 to see if anyone would actually show. I finally saw a head in the truck and checked to see if it was actually someone for the ride. Turns out to be Brian and he's actually up for going in the rain. He does have a prerequisite, because he's just getting back into shape, that the ride should be flat. Boy, I don't know why you guys put me into this kind of situation. I know the Kent area like I know Timbuktu (zilch). Thinking quick I choose north (closer to my known riding area) and offer up Leshi and back. Brian agrees and off we go into the wet and wind towards the trail and by John's secondary crime scene "the rut" and up and over to Lake Washington Blvd. There aren't too many riding this morning as we head north. Trying to keep a moderate pace I have Brian tuck behind me and head towards Seward Park and up towards Leshi. About half way towards our turn around, Brian gets a little flat, so we pull into a marina and use it for a quick feed zone and our new return point. Brian was wearing wool socks with his cycling shoes but he didn't have any booties and I think his toes were swimming and cold contributing to the U turn and getting him back sooner the later. Climbing out of Seward felt great, cause Brian let me go and as we regrouped heading towards Rainier Beach. We pass a bunch a number of riders headed the other way. There had to be one big group ride broken up into 4-5 packs, all wet (what were they thinking riding on a day like today). I kept Brian on my wheel and we headed home. Actually the rain stopped about half way home. I have no idea how far the ride was (being the tech geek that I am, sans computer) but Brian mentioned that we where out for 2 hours and I think he said 32 wet miles. I felt bad that Brian's feet got wet and cold and that he had a headache most of the ride (it might have been my company). On the other hand I can state that the Sidi's really worked (I didn't trust them totally so I threw a pair of wind covers over the top), good combo. I also brought a second set of gloves, which came in handy in the later part of the ride. I hope Brian finds a pair of booties soon. It should make his wet days easier. As a whole, smooth ride and still in one piece. A good day!

Chet
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 12:56:09 PM by John W » Logged
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2010, 10:22:59 AM »

45 degrees, no rain, and the 4 horsemen Chet, Tom, Brian & Chris –

Tom was contemplating which direction the planes were landing while the rest of us were getting dressed and our bikes set up. But instead of which direction they were landing he settled for…..if the rain comes in we should go south, that way we can ride north and be ahead of it. I like your thinking Tom!

So we opted for the Victor Falls route and headed out. Lots of leaves on the ground and the pavement a little wet made it precarious to navigate some sections of the trail and the RR crossings. We motored out and had a nice warmup pull into Pacific. Everyone taking their turn in the front pulling.  Chet and I were chatting as Tom and Brian surged ahead for the Pacific sign. I think Tom had Brian by a wheel –

Through the Sumner warehouse zone the roads are super rough, and I started hearing some noise on the back of my bike. We stopped and I made some adjustments, good place to pull off our 3rd layers as well. As we rolled through downtown Sumner I still heard that dang noise….Tom said – it’s been doing that all morning I just didn’t say anything to ya. I pull off on the side and tell them I’ll catch up. Adjust my rear fender and brake pads and jump back on. Chet had waited for me and we caught back up in no time.

We had a history lesson from Tom while making the turn at the Daffodil fields about the crazy house and which room was his. Ok, ok, so Tom didn’t have a room there…..

Up the hill to McHutchin and down to the grange on 162 we went – once on 162 we had one heck of a tailwind and Chet was pulling hard up front. He finally dropped and I took a pull…well it was definitely not as strong of a tailwind….it was just Chet. Back through Sumner and to the trail we had a nice 18-19 mph pace that carried us back to the parking lot.

Kudos to Brian – he’s really starting to get his endurance and stamina! Nice job Brian!!

Tom – pacific sign / alderton sign
Chet – Sumner sign (mom would have been proud) pacific sign

Excellent ride – 40.5 miles 17.6 avg

See you guys next week.

Chris
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 12:56:55 PM by John W » Logged
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2010, 12:52:50 PM »

Overcast and 40 degrees, winds at 20 mph with gusts to 28 greeted the four of us this day.  Tom, Chris, Ron, and I headed north to Alki, mostly running 16 to 18 mph depending on the wind.  At one point with Tom on the front we were hit with a wind gust that knocked our speed from 17 to 13 in an instant.  Wow!
As we approached the West Seattle Bridge we were joined by another rider.  I was on the front at the time, but I could just make out Tom’s voice over the wind.  Tom talkin’ it up in a pace line?  How unusual…Tom later mentioned that the pick-up, rode with WCT many years ago.

As we fought our way toward the point at Alki, Ron took a two or three stroke pull and was given grief by everyone as he went to the back of the line.  The new guy took a really strong and long pull toward, and around the point.  Great job!  Once around the corner, wind at our backs, we all suddenly felt strong.  The pace quickened to 25-27 all the way to the bakery.

The Alki Bakery is Closed!!!  White paper covers the windows  – Closed!  There are notes on the door by customers lamenting the “loss of a community gathering place” and “now we’re stuck with corporate coffee.”  Just as I sat down with my “corporate” coffee, Ron said that he was starting back, and will be riding slowly – cold and not feeling well.  We sat for a few minutes, gulped down the hot coffee and followed him.  (Our picked-up rider had continued on since he lives in the area.)

Pulling into the head wind toward the point at 16, I began thinking this is really tough going…oh, I have a flat.  Repairs made and off we go.  Under the bridge and down the road…I’m dropping back, legs must be weak from not riding…no, I have a flat.  We take shelter from the wind in Jan’s parking lot.  Good thing I carry two tubes/CO2.  #!%@ - pinch flat while filling tire.  Tom offers a tube & CO2.  Repairs made and off, with the wind pushing us to 25ish.  South Park, across the trail bridge, along the Green River toward Interurban…I’m falling behind again.  #!%@ - flat number three!  Chris has a flat too.  I patch my tube while we discuss if we have enough CO2 to get at least one guy back to the cars.   

Repairs completed and toward the cars.  Down the Interurban trail, I drop back again.  This time it s the result of two months off the bike.  I’m a little out of shape.

As Tom is leaving the parking lot, he announces that the temperature in Seattle with the wind chill, is 25 degrees.  Good thing we had the wind behind us on the way back!

43.4 miles, 17 mph average.  Even with the flats I enjoyed the ride, it’s good to be back on the bike. 

Today when I took my bike out to inspect the back tire for glass, the front tire was flat with a sidewall cut…put me down for four “on the road flats” in a single ride.  The back tire was riddled with glass…

Hope to see you next week.

John W
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2010, 09:59:51 PM »

Five, count-um, five, hearty souls of the WheelSport team showed up to ride Saturday.  SeaTac and the Kent Valley were fogged in.  There was no discussion of which way the planes were taking off...they weren't.  Tom, Ron, Chris, Mark and I headed south on the Interurban Trail.  The temperature was 34 degrees, and we were intent on avoiding the busy streets that had been heavily sanded.  I wanted to avoid streets where we might find glass or metal shards from tire chains...no more flat tires!  We also wanted to avoid any hills that still had snow and ice hazards.  The route would be the Puyallup flat route.

Shortly after we started, I asked Ron if he knew he had his jacket on backward?  "The zipper is supposed to be in front."  He explained that he wanted the windbreak affect across his chest, and the ventilation of having it mostly un-zipped down his back.  I thought he was too shy to ask one of us to zip-up his dress...I mean jacket.

Three minutes later, Tom said "Hay Ron, the zipper goes in front!"  Later, Tom exclaimed that the (red, white, and blue) backward jacket made Ron look like Captain America.  It did.

Chris is taking pride in his developing knowledge of the City Sign locations.  He battled both Ron and Mark, and won the honors at most of them.  At the Sumner sign, the three of them went straight...battling for the sign.  Tom and I turned left, following the standard route.  Since there is a sign around the corner, Tom declared me the winner since the speed demons were off course.  Tom and I discussed weather that sign should ever be contested since involves a left turn.  On a cold slippery day...it could be really bad.  Two turns later, the speed demons joined us. 

The only sign I contested was the Puyallup sign on River Road   I took off really early, about a 1/2 mile out and from the back of the line.  I was hoping to fly by and get away without anyone on my wheel.  Thinking, if I can hold 28..and then punch it to 30+ just before the sign, this might work.  Did I mention it was in the low 30's?  The air was really heavy, there was no punch left in my legs.  Chris had caught my wheel and snuck past to win by a wheel.  Nice job Chris!

Ron used his local knowledge to pick-up a sign before we stopped for coffee in Sumner. 

On the return trip, Tom seemed to be enjoying the caffeine based energy.  Nice pull.  Mark also took several long strong pulls.  Ron - the four stroke wonder, took a five stroke pull...excellent!

Mark flatted on the Interurban Trail.  Repairs made and back to the parking lot. 

Another fun WheelSport ride.  43.4 miles @16.3 mph average, 39 degrees at the end of the ride.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Mark your calendars.  WheelSport meeting on Monday, December 13th, 6:30pm at Elliot Bay Brewing.  Time to renew your membership, place clothing and equipment orders, plan our sponsored race events for next year, and discuss some ideas for Full Team Rides.

-------------------------------------------------------------

See you next Saturday.

John W

ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2010, 08:10:38 PM »

….sorrry for the late post!

I met Ron at his house and we rode up to the parking lot together – we met John & Tom and headed out on the Leschi turn. Frigid….man o man was it chilly! Had a decent headwind heading north, but it made us work harder and thus we stayed warmer.

Pretty quiet ride up to Seward where we stopped for a bathroom break and saw a slew of people who were attending some kind of run/walk event. John and I noticed they were all wearing the #1?Huh I guess they all signed up at the same time.

Heading out of Seward we were still battling a headwind and opted to just head straight into Leschi – Ron came off my wheel and dashed ahead for the sign. NOTED RON!!! I’ll get you next time! Coffee at Perts was pleasant, warmth was oh so welcome. If you ever stop in there try out the Pert bar – DLISH and loaded with sprint worthy calories.

We gathered our things and put our butts back in the saddle. John was talking with someone – does he really know everyone? Out of the city and the wind finally at our backs,  John took a enormous pull and carried us back to Seward, climbed the hill and we were on our way home.

Funny things happen around Tom, he noted that once you clip out for a stoplight it will turn green. I tried this theory and apparently you must be at a complete stop for it to happen. We split off at the Ice Dome – Ron and I headed back to his house and completed our ride.

Ron/Chris 60 miles 17.2 avg
Tom/John 40ish miles 17.2 avg

Signs – Ron blew us all away and took all but the Seattle sign

Strong ride – no rain – no mechanicals – just tired legs

See you guys next week!

Chris
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2010, 05:23:26 PM »

My car is in the auto body shop as a result of the big snow storm a couple weeks ago.  It was hit twice while parked.  The good news is that both parties stepped up with their insurance information.  Since my bike would not fit into the rental car, I rode down to Russell Road Park.  The weather forecast predicted heavy “pineapple express” rain in the afternoon.  Maybe I can beat the rain…

When I arrived at the park there were cars everywhere.  Not a parking space to be found.  The annual Kent fun run was underway.  Chet cruised through the parking lot looking for a space.  Good luck!

Chris and Ron rode into the lot, followed a few minutes later by Chet.  After assisting a young lady who had gotten her car stuck in the mud, we discussed where we should go.  I commented that I was not feeling particularly ambitious as I was tired from a busy week.  Ron followed with, “We had our company party last night.”  Is that code for: “I had a really good time, and am paying for it today!”?

Chris led out of the parking lot toward the Interurban.  As we approached the trail, Ron kept suggesting we head south.  I quickly realized he was indicating we should ride toward his home.  Chris clearly didn’t hear him and headed north.  Ron’s protests were also not heard.

We were on our way to Leschi.  Chris and Chet did most of the work.  At the Seward Park restroom stop, Ron suggested turning around.  Chris said, "We’ll turn around at Leschi."  Ron didn’t say much as he immediately continued toward Leschi with Chris on his wheel.  Chet and I stood there for a few moments rather dumb founded.  Chet was making a clothing adjustment and I was enjoying a quick drink from the water bottle.  They had left us standing there.

It didn’t take long to catch up, and the four of us motored toward Leschi.  The scattered rain drops were increasing and the road was now wet, time to slow down for the conditions. When we arrived at Perts, Ron immediately announced he was heading back.  Chet looked at me and said he would go with him.  Chris and I took a few minutes to eat something before heading after them.  As Chris and I approached Rainier Ave, there they were, apparently waiting for us.

Ron sprinted for the Renton sign, Chet went after him…don’t know who won, sorry.

Chris rode next to Chet, in the junk, down Oakesdale Ave and big surprise – flatted.  He then showed us his tire changing skills using only one tire tool.  As the verbal abuse ramped up, he explained that he never gets flats.  Chet and Ron both handed him another tire tool which didn’t seem to help.  The more Chris struggled, the more intense the abuse got.  Did I mention that at precisely this point the “pineapple express” really got going?  More abuse!  Repairs made and we are on our way. 

Chris and Ron continued south, I accompanied Chet to his car.  Chet gave me a beanie hat, celebrating the 35th anniversary of his Super Jock & Jill store.  Thanks Chet!  He had a pile of them for everyone that showed up this day...snooze and loose.

Chet offered to give me a lift home, which I declined since it’s the opposite direction for him.  It poured as I rode home, my glasses fogged up, the road was covered with puddles, and it was good to get home.

Over all it was a good ride, 40 miles at 17 mph.  My total ride about 55 miles.

See you next week.

John W.

ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2010, 01:50:34 PM »

….ominous clouds and wind must have been the reason for the empty parking lot this morning.

Showed up and waited until 10:10 – gave me time to catch up on emails and to listen to John Clayton. Nobody appeared and I rolled out of the parking lot and headed for the trainer in the garage.

I’m glad that John and I discussed riding while chatting about our insurance policy one day, as it has lead to many new friendships and gotten me back into a sport I’ve always loved.

May 2011 give us many beautiful sunny Saturday rides!

Best regards,

Chris

Happy Holidays – I’m sure the next ride won’t be until the 1st of January – if anyone is interested in a Saturday Dec. 25th afternoon ride let me know.

Tom Frank

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2010, 09:46:54 PM »

Power out in Des Moines...Had to ride my trainer to light up the light bulbs in house.

Tom F
Tom Frank

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2010, 09:53:08 PM »

A good ride for 1/1/2011 is the new years day ride...starts under the I-90 bridge on the east side of mercer island. I have always parked at Coulon Park and met the(large) group at 12:00 noon.
Tom F.
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2010, 09:24:54 PM »

sounds good Tom - anyone else interested?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length