Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2017, 03:35:25 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: SMF - Just Installed!

+  WCT members-only forum
|-+  Wheelsport Rides, Bike info, etc
| |-+  Weekly team rides
| | |-+  Ride summaries - 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Ride summaries - 2010  (Read 17004 times)
Tom Frank

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2010, 09:37:17 AM »

Is anyone interested in doing Sunrise on Thursday 7/15?
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2010, 09:13:08 PM »

Thanks to everyone who turned out for the ride. We had great participation with a total of 16 riders.  Gordy, Zach, Jeff, Sam, Bob, Tom B, Tom F, Mike, Dave S, Dave B, Chris, Thien, John W, Kurt, Marshall and Brian.

We rode to the start at Unionbay, 72nd and 212th, to register and get photos taken. A lady rode up and stood in with us not realizing we were all together.
There was a routing problem through Renton but we dismissed that and just rode down 169. Police were giving out tickets to "speeders" going over 10mph on the Cedar River Trail. An 11mph speeding ticket might be the first ever. Worth a lot on ebay. Should have gone for it. 

Pretty nice paceline down 169 and Bob went to the front to pick up the pace to 23+. He did it twice. I had to dodge a steel cable lying on our part of the road and almost took someone out behind me. The pace quickened and several of us took pulls. Rollers started to fracture the group, Big Dave finally came off after an amazing effort.

A regroup was announced for the light in Maple Valley but was largely ignored.
I waited for Dave and we took an alternate route up Witte Rd. This added 4 miles but was better suited for the day. We worked on into Black Diamond and met up with the group at the scheduled stop. Several WCTer's had gone on their way to Lake Tapps.

Back down 169 to 416th. Nice rollers and pretty good speed. The steep climb out of Black Diamond left us fractured again but we regrouped at Kamm's Corner.
Onto 416th we kept it at 21+.

The race on the rollers prior to the Flaming Geyser downhill was fun with Thien, Chris, Kurt and I mixing it up. We rolled into Flaming Geyser stop together where we met up with Tom B.

Back onto Green Valley Road, we had some of our best pacelines of the day. Newby, Brian fell off the back right away. He had finally spun himself to exhaustion, never using his big chainring. Super effort Brian. Did anyone tell him to shift? We passed many ECLBR riders and a few jumped on the train for awhile.

Through Auburn, Dave B missed the light onto the Green Valley Rd and couldn't bridge the gap. Mistakenly thinking all were back on, we proceeded at 21-22. 
The last sprint into Kent was won by Thien. I was right behind him but couldn't catch.

Back at the parking lot we all were a bit spent. John W and Thien rode back up East Hill to home.

At this point I realized we were missing 2 riders. Dave rolled in shortly but Brian wasn't back until I was driving away.

Great ride. Lots of fun to get everyone out. WCT jerseys everywhere. Very cool! Thanks to Patricia for putting on another great event. It appears her first Kent Cornucopia Days ride was a success.

We rode 64 miles which included a Witte Road diversion adding 4. Average speeds varied from 17.2 to 18.6. No mechanicals, drama or injuries.  Good to have Dave S and Mike make a successful comeback. Thanks again to everyone who made this a great day.

Marshall
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2010, 11:23:10 AM »

We had a respectable turnout of 8 riders: John W, Chris (newly signed  member and truly great guy) Tom F, Thien, Chet, Dave B, The Other Dave, and Marshall.

Thien was wearing his bicycle helmet when he drove up in his car. He's ready to race! Or scared of his own driving! Good thing Big Dave showed up late because Chris's rear tire was flat and extra time was needed for the master mechanic to reveal his skill. Wheel back on I walked over to inspect and then, bang!! I thought, "Oh my God, now they're shooting at us!" It took about 3 WCTer's to make repairs and off we went for a Mercer Island loop, avoiding the STP riders.

Northbound on the Interurban, our initial pace was in the low 20's due to a tailwind and Chris's strong leadout. Through Boeing and up the little climb which put us onto Rainier, we passed a few tandems going the other way.

The climb toward Seward Park fractured the group. I stayed back to keep Big Dave company as we watched the pack gradually pull away, The Other Dave just ahead. I told Big Dave, "Look, we're not dropped, we're just gapped!" We went around a corner and then I had to announce, "OK, now we're dropped!" Oh well.  A tri rider overtook us near the top but we almost caught her at the park.

Lake WA Blvd was pretty quick once we all got together, John W taking a final, long pull at speed.

The climb up fractured us again, KOM contenders, Chet, Chris, Tom and Thien leading out. This gave Dave and I a chance to plan our strategy for the downhill sprint.

Onto the trail, we proceeded to Mercer. Dave wanted to go on to Tully's. Chet and I joined him on the trail. The rest took a loop around the Island. Reports are that Thien and Chris raced on around with John and Tom pulling the main field. Chet, Big Dave and I had a nice paceline going to Coulon, passing all the rec riders on the climbs! "Ride on the sidewalk where you belong!"

We all regrouped at Coulon Park then made our way South through Renton. On Oaksdale, Chet lead out a breakaway with Thien, Chris and Tom. I sprinted to bridge the gap running 25+ into a strong headwind. We held a steady pace at 23 all the way to 180th. The main field arrived shortly.

A clip-in sprint to the Renton sign across the street was anticipated. I clipped in right away but Chris couldn't make it happen. Spinning madly across, I got edged out by Chet by inches.

The climb up the 196th overpass was another race with Chet, Thien and me in that order.

Easy spin back to the parking lot ended this very fun ride. Great job everyone! The full Mercer ride was 50 and the shorter "Tully's" ride was 42 miles. No incidents to report and no headbutting. No downhill sprint for Big Dave, either. Maybe next time. 

A personal note: My nephew, Nick, made 132 miles on the STP today. Tomorrow will be cake for him. Go Nick!   

Marshall
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2010, 05:01:32 PM »

Chris, Chet, Christian, Little Dave, Medium Dave, Mike, Ron, Thien, Tom, and I gathered under a beautiful blue sky with 70+ degree temperatures for this ride.  Tom suggested his “Easy Cougar Mountain” route.  Christian commented that he is riding a 12/21 cassette…a temporary fix for his recent mechanical problems… so he might lag off the back when we hit the steep hills.  I suggested the Gorge.  Christian nodded, Tom pointed out that we would have a head wind on the way back.  I replied that we always have a head wind, no matter where we go.

We proceeded toward the Gorge at typical warm-up pace.  Chris sprinted uncontested for the Kent sign at the 277th overpass.  Christian jumped very early for the Auburn sign.  Chris blasted after him; Ron followed two bike lengths behind.  Chris picked up the sign.

I took a pull through Auburn; Chet took the pull after the bad tracks and led us safely past the Jim B rut.  He remained on the front and with a little help from Chris and Ron, led us up Hatchery Hill at 19.1 mph.  The pace line was excellent!  Most arrived at the top as a group, and the stragglers were with us in moments.

Good speed and tight pace line to Black Diamond, where Christian and Middle Dave opted to peel off.  We took a refreshment stop at the gas station.  Chet must have been feeling good since he led the climb out of the gorge.  Again, the speed was just right to keep the group together.

At the turn onto Green Valley Road, a friendly voice came from a small pick-up truck.  It was Bob Kaye.  Good to see you Bob!

On Green Valley, we found the head wind, which was stronger than normal due to the rising temperature.  I took the first pull at about 21, hoping to time my move to the back and avoid pulling the few stretches where the wind really howls.  The plan worked perfectly, except when we arrived at one of the bad sections, I was number two behind Ron.  Riding behind a guy half my size isn’t much help.  Thien hollered, “Ron, 25 mph!”   This isn't going to happen.  Ron accelerated to 22 and quickly realized that his “push” had disappeared.  Ron took a quick look over his shoulder, and was back to 21.  I’m smiling.  Thien, you want 25 into the wind?  You get up here and pull 25!

As we passed the Auburn Golf Course, Chet was back on the front when he suddenly pulled off and then dropped off the back…cramps…both legs frozen in pain.  Mike and I dropped back with him, the rest of the guys unaware of his plight continued.  After standing still on the pedals for awhile, Chet was able to continue.  Later at the parking lot, Chet explained that warm weather can really get to him.  Thien, “Ah your Kryptonite!”

This was an excellent ride, 51 miles, 19 mph.  Superman Award to Chet, for huge pulls. The Sprinter of the Day – Chris.

On a personal note: Thanks to all of you for the support and encouragement as I recover from the crash.

John W.
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2010, 01:00:55 PM »

A bit cool for the end of July but a great day! 8 riders: Jake, Chet, Thien, Rod, Ron, John, Big Dave and I headed North to Alki.

Up the Interurban Trail, up McAdam and to the last bit of the Green River Trail, we all stayed together, for the most part. I dropped back with Dave for the McAdam climb where he easily managed a 15+ pace. Very decent. Jake likes to take long pulls on his tri bike and spooled it up to the mid 20s into Southpark. Dave went around the group and led through town.

As everyone knows by now, Rod hadn't ridden in 2 weeks, had been sick, etc. He held on pretty well with all the hotshots going into Alki, Jake on front at 30. I watched back with Dave as they grew smaller in the distance. John came back to give us a hand and we pulled into Alki Bakery.

Thien wanted a warmup so Dave led us up Admiral Way, dropping down under the bridge in W Seattle. Going down Interurban, we hit every stoplight. Another race ensued as I watched riders get popped off the back. On the trail, Chet led out gradually picking up speed to 21 or so. Jake tried to pass Chet on the left, but it wasn't happening. Side-by-side down the Interurban trail, the rest of us in tow. Faster and faster. I moved to the left and Dave pulled alongside, "do you see what's going on up there?" Dave asked. Well, it was very intertaining to say the least. Good job guys!

Back into the lot we finished with 43 miles.

Nice ride everyone. Thanks to all for coming out.

Easy ride Sunday, Aug 1, from the Whistlestop Alehouse in Renton at 9am with John McGraw. This is a social paced ride, no big chainrings, around south Lake Washington. I hope to see you there.

Marshall
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2010, 08:41:11 AM »

A little rain to start but perfect temp. Chet, John McGraw, Christian, Dave B, Ron and Marshall made up the group for the Puyallup loop. Chet had the only fender.

We proceeded South on Westvalley dodging the massive ruts and holes. John took a few strong pulls to warm us up for what was to come. Everyone took a turn up front making for great pacelines.

On River Rd, Ron took off, John in pursuit and passing. I took off to join in, hitting 30+ and finally catching John's wheel. He held it around 28 into a stiff headwind. I peeled off, Ron passed and I waited for the main group, led out by Chet @25 to the bridge.

Up Puyallup Hill, John, Chet and Ron stayed together, I rode in back with Christian and Dave right behind.
Down Puyallup hill, all were fearing Big Dave's speed and he didn't disappoint. However, near the bottom, John found a cooperative Ford Explorer to motorpace and he dropped us all.

Puyallup was teeming in traffic and it took awhile to maneuver through town. Once out and onto Sumner at a moderate but consistent pace.

John's second burst was on the long straight through the Sumner Industrial Park. Again, I held on at 30 for a while but didn't have the legs for it.

John, Chet and Ron pulled away. We regrouped in Pacific and cruised back home, up the Interurban Trail. This was a very enjoyable ride, nice pacelines and several good efforts.

Ron, aka "mosquito" won most sprints but almost got taken by Chet while hewas sleeping on one Puyallup sign.   

Thanks to everyone for coming out.

Sunday, 9am at the Ram, Kent Station, social paced ride. John McGraw calls this one the "Ramride." Hope to see many WCTer's there. You too, Jan! John said that heavy rain cancels but it's still on if like this morning.

August 21 is the Hillclimb Time Trial at Crystal. Get with Race Director Christian Olsen if you haven't yet signed up to volunteer.

Marshall
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2010, 01:40:44 PM »

Mark, Dave S, Dave B, John, Thien, Ron, Tom F and I were today's WCT. The route was Tom's Alki run, the hard way!

We climbed up 228th and then hit every little city along the way. It is impossible for me to accurately describe the route. We rode through Seatac-Burien-Whitecenter-Seattle-Alki.

Beautiful scenery along the waterfront.  Lots of climbing but nice cool breezes prevailed.

Dave B liked that 228 warmup climb and wanted more. On a long downhill, he had an SUV turn left in front of him @40mph. The guy stopped at the last minute giving Dave a small exit strategy. Close one for sure! Later, I caught my front wheel in a rut which yanked the bars from my hands. Lucky I didn't go down.

The climbs were contested by Tom, Thien, Ron and Mark. Mark seemed strongest. Ron, Dave B and I rode around the Alki lighthouse and all arrived at the Bakery.

The return was pretty fast, John pulling at 25-27. On the flat stretch out of Southpark Thien got us up to 34+. I held on but as people started falling off, gaps opened and I hit 35 at one point trying to bridge. Ahead, the leadout of 4 fanned out across the road as they slowed. Good move. Should I mention we had a tailwind?

I rode 45 miles and climbed 2000 vft. Not bad. I got these really cheap bottles that shoot out of the cages over tracks. I even caught one on the fly.

Good job everyone. Pretty warm day but beautiful.

I hope to see all of you at the Hillclimb TT next Saturday. There will be no Saturday ride from Russell Road Park.

Marshall
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2010, 02:19:56 PM »

Thanks to all 10 riders who came out for the ride: Chet, John W, Dave S, Mike, Chris, Tom F, Ryan, Ron, Marshall and new guy, Brian.

Cougar Mt is a good ride for a first-timer and for Chris's comeback! 10 makes for a good double paceline and we headed North up the Interurban Trail, through Boeing, past Coulon Park and over to Bellevue.

A few hotdogs sprinted out after stops and turns just to warm-up for the climbs.

At the top of the short steep climb at Coal Creek, Ryan had stopped, everyone else proceeding. He told me we weren't all together. I counted heads and, sure enough, someone was off. Brian. I went back and saw him coming. When he arrived, he asked how much further was the ride. I told him about 45 miles total. Although he wanted to go back, I said I'd stay with him for the rest of the ride. Ryan motored on by and caught the field. I rode with Brian keeping the group in sight.

I knew we had one more big hill but everything was down from where we were. Missed the Cougar Way turn. We rode down to Lakemont and turned around back up the hill. Right on Forest and back to Coalcreek.

We all met at Factoria Starbucks.

Ryan took off for home and the rest of us worked together very well on the return. On the rollers back to Coulon, a heavyset fellow with bad form and earbuds, gave us a pretty good rabbit. Up the hills he was amazingly strong but we finally caught and passed him, fracturing our group in the process.

The return was pretty quick but very fun.

Great ride everyone. Thanks to Ryan for stopping for the dropped new rider. I think Brian will be back.

The Cougar group rode 47 miles, 2500 vft @16.1. The Lost Lakemont group rode 44 miles, 2100 vft @16.
Chet and Ryan were KOM's.

Marshall
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2010, 09:16:33 PM »

Light turnout but great ride. Only 4 managed to make it but it was a good 4! John W, Chris, Ron and I headed out of the wet to Flaming Geyser.

We met another group of 4 at the Central-259 light. Thinking they might want to join us, Chris ran the red and took off like a rocket. When the light changed, John led out at 18 then smoked up the little hill at 20. This wasn't nice but if they were still on, I figured we'd all get dropped bigtime. They weren't on.

We caught Chris and headed down Green Valley @22. Auburn sprint was John's.

Going toward Geyser, we were confronted by a stiff headwind but by trading pulls consistently, we kept a reasonable pace of 22-23.

Yes, it's true, Ron took his turn pulling all day and did a super job We rested at Geyser hoping for a fast tailwind but as normally happens, the wind shifted giving us a worse headwind going back. Thank God it's downhill!

We considered going onto the Bakery but nobody bit on the idea.

John pulled out bringing us to 21 and we continued changing leaders. We saw the group of four riders heading toward Geyser 20 minutes behind us. My turn and I saw 24 and backed it down to 23. Comfortable but tough into the wind.

Back into Auburn, Ron jumped for the sign but it was gone. You can't win a sign if there isn't one! He would have though.

Keeping a steady pace, I moved off the front before the climb to the Kent sign. This is my sign! John on front, Ron, Chris, me, we cruise the stop and head up the hill. I cut left but so does Chris. I go right and Ron goes left. I'm blocked. I'm in my 53x19 and pour it on through the middle. In the drops, standing 53x18, 17, false flat @25mph. One more little rise. Ron is on my wheel and then shows me his front wheel @25+. He goes by and I sit down. Fastest I've done that before. Probably Ron, too. Ron wins.

At the end of the day, John got 3 signs, Ron 1. I don't think Chris got one but he was close several times. Its all about timing! Frankly, some sprints were a little weak today but respectable. 

The race to the parking lot wasn't weak, though. Chris led out numerous stoplight efforts with a motorpace behind a Dodge Magnum SRT-8 as a finale! Whew!!

Really fun but short 37 miles @ 20mph ave.

P.S. September 11 is the Emerald City Lights Bikeride out of Auburn Game Farm Park. Wheelsport riders can meet there for a 9:00am departure. This is the one with the really good baked potato feast at the end. Let me know if you are planning on that ride. Register www.emeraldcitylightsbikeride.org for a great time.

P.P.S.  Those of you who are interested in an easy paced social ride, meet tomorrow, Sunday, September 5, 9:00am at 272 Restaurant in Covington. 2 hour ride- refreshments/lunch after. John McGraw is our ride leader.

Marshall
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2010, 03:15:46 PM »

Thanks to everyone who joined us for the Emerald City Lights Bikeride. Thanks to Patricia Hansen for doing an outstanding job organizing it. We had three WCT groups:
Bob and Sam at 8:00am; Chris, Tom F, John, Ron and I at 9:00am; Christian, Janice and Samuel at 10:00am. That's a great turnout. Congratulations!

It was a beautiful day, cool, sunny and little wind. No rain! As soon as we got onto Green Valley, our front man, Chris, started picking up the pace. Next thing, we're doing 23+. Then John @24.  I tried in vain to pull the speed down to 21 for at least the warm-up. So did Tom. What was I thinking!

By the bridge before Geyser, Tom and I stopped to remove jackets and then do a moderate climb up the hill for a warm-up. After that, all was good for us both.

We couldn't find the pit stop in Black Diamond, everyone leading down streets as if they knew where it was. We found it heading North on 169. Oh! That's where it was all along! According to the attendant, we were the last of the 65 milers to arrive and the ones before us left out 30-45 minutes ago. We passed that group and several others before Enumclaw. We were hunting rabbits all day!

We made a large loop out of B-D which took us Southbound. We zigged and zagged around and made it to Enumclaw. Another pit stop where we met up with two guys, one on a fixie. They had done 44 miles already missing the B-D pit and going to 4-Corners!

The ride out of Enumclaw was pretty quick down to Mud Mt Rd. and toward Auburn. Rabbits were caught and passed including the fixie and his pal. Chris picked up the pace once again and the fixie group hung on all the way back to Game Farm.

Christian, Janice and Samuel jumped on at Auburn and the race was on.

Really fun ride and pretty intense at times. Chris won all the sprint signs. Great job, Chris. You looked great in your new Wheelsport jersey!

Our mileage was 65 @19mph.

I will be notifying all WCT members about our meeting tentatively scheduled at Elliot Bay Brewing Monday, September 27, 6:30pm providing we can get it arranged. I'll confirm the date as soon as possible.

Marshall
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2010, 03:23:12 PM »

Marshall,

Because I'm not a huge phone user but only use it when I need it, meaning: it's usually off unless I need to make a call or send a text. Well I didn't read your text till 9:50 while at russell road. So I knew I missed the 9:00 launch. Luckily I had a backup plan. I brought two bikes and an extra rider (my 20 yr. old son Karsten).

Since there wasn't anyone to suggest Cougar Mtn. or any other place to ride, or which way the jets where landing at Seatac we felt compelled to head north (because sticking around this neighborhood would definitely get us lost). So we waited to see if anyone missed your earlier memo about the 9 am ride. Nope, so we cruised to Renton airport, up the east side, around the top end of Mercer Is, past Rainier Bch HS back to the airport and finally to the car.

Karsten usually runs but will get on the bike if his class load allows it. He's at CalPoly in either aerospace engineering or physics. He actually is pretty smooth on the bike, loves challenging himself on the hills but he's still getting used to quick downhill, corners and tight quarters. So over all we had a great ride. Maybe I'll be dragging him out for some more rides on Saturdays. I've actually sent him your team Scott to use this year at school. I hope it sees a lot of riding opportunities. I might see you in a few weeks. I'm moving my two boys into college in CA.

Stay safe, CJ
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2010, 10:15:59 PM »

Hello WCT'ers,

Saturday was a perfect day for a bike ride! Only 4 WCTer's showed up: Others were thinking rain. Well, no rain, sun and mid 70's!  Riding were Tom, John, Ron and I.

I brought my rain bike just in case and requested an Alki run due to my bike's lack of hillclimbing prowess. No Cougar "training rides" please!
Plus, I knew Alki would be beautiful and I got a Starbuck's card!

All agreed and we headed North up the Interurban to Tukwila and over to Boeing. Nice easy pace. Tom directed my lead from behind, "turn left...turn right." Next thing I'm staring up so-called "Monster Hill." Great. It's not too long but quite steep. I hung on with the lead group but I definitely maxed out the heartrate!

The rest was pretty straightforward to Alki with 21-23 speeds. Southpark was preparing for a parade and the cops allowed us full access of the closed street. 4 man Wheelsport parade in Southpark!
The rest of the trip was uneventful with the group staying together very well.

Used the Starbuck's card for a coffee and a roll. The view was amazing!

I pulled out of Alki nearly to the West Seattle Bridge, slowly picking it up to 22 max. When I pulled off, the pace quickened about 2 mph when I got back on.

Under the bridge and to Hwy 99. Someone decided to avoid the Southpark parade and stay on 99. This gives a new meaning to "playing in traffic." Trucks passing you 4 feet away at 75mph is exciting, especially when you're dodging gravel strewn all over the shoulder. Avoid that route in the future.

We exited, made a few turns and headed toward Burien up Des Moines Way hill. Not too steep but several miles long. The shoulder is literally paved in broken glass for miles! Avoid that one, too.

John led out in a relentless effort and after awhile, I got a nice cramp in my calf. I pulled out of line to recover which cost me about 100yards. I couldn't quite catch but got within 20 yards by the top.   
We went down a few hills, turns and hard accelerations. At this point, I indeed lost the group which continued on through a green light at 99 which I missed.

However, Ron saw my predicament and waited for me past the light.  Nice downhill into Tukwila, 30+!
Once through Tukwila and on the trail, we rode back in two groups of two for a while: Tom and I back with John and Ron out front. I lost a bottle over the bridge but the leadout twosome waited at the 228th intersection.

We rode in together to the park after 44.9 miles @17.4 mph. Pretty good ride and an absolutely beautiful Northwest summer day. Great job!

On a personal note, I have accepted a position with a company located in St. Cloud, Minnesota starting October 1. I will be relocating there and securing temporary housing. My family will join me in the spring after my daughter graduates from high school. Hopefully, we can sell our Seattle house then and I can buy one in St. Cloud. In the meantime, I plan to return from time to time to see my family. I may even get in a few rides!

Therefore, this coming Saturday's team ride will likely be my last for some time and Monday's team meeting at Elliot Bay Brewing will conclude my duties as president of Wheelsport Cycling Team.

I have truly enjoyed my tenure with Wheelsport and hope my efforts have been of some benefit to you and the sport of cycling.

Since Saturday, September 25 will likely be my last Wheelsport ride, I am calling it "Marshall's Ride," 10:00am from Russell Road Park. This is to be an easy-paced ride to Leshi and back. Everyone is invited. The more the better! Heavy rain cancels.

Our team meeting is Monday September 27, 6:30pm at Elliot Bay Brewing.
See you there!

Marshall Herron
President, Wheelsport Cycling Team
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2010, 01:36:44 PM »

Thanks to those who came out to Marshall's last "official" WCT ride. Chet, John, Tom F, Chris, Ron and I made up today's WCT. Christian and Janice came down to the start to see us off while on their way to Sequim. The weather today was perfect.

The plan was Leshi although we never got that far. Chet led out up the Interurban Trail at about 21mph with a light tail wind.

We made the right past Embassy Suites and through the Boeing lot. Dodging speedbumps as usual, we proceeded North. John behind me, the rest ahead. Around the first speedbump, past the gate, a loud noise echoed through the trees followed by a huge crash. John had caught his rear wheel in a rut, speed wobbled, and the bike pitched him off!  John landed on his right shoulder, the same spot that previously resulted in a broken collarbone. Good thing he's left handed! The rear derailleur cage was lodged in the spokes so Chet tried a few "adjustments." The rear tire exploded right in his face! KABAAM!!! I'm thinking, "thank God this is my last ride!"

John had rolled the tire off the rim and it had a delayed explosive pinch flat. A tamdem couple  stopped to see the mayhem.

I repaired the flat and Chet got the cage moved back so we could proceed to Center Cycle. "You've now got 3 gears. Don't shift!"

At the shop, Dave took care of the problem and installed a new rear derailleur hanger. Some guy said to me that we shouldn't have bent it back. I replied that it was done so he could ride it here.

Repairs made, John couldn't continue because of shoulder pain so Chet rode back with him and ferried the bike home by car.

With only four of us left and a good deal of time lost, we modified the route to Seward Park, Chris led us out. He sprinted from every stop but we stayed on. Up Rainier Avenue, we kept it at 23-24. Great job Chris! He won the sprint, too, closely contested by Ron.

Up the long climb to Seward, Chris jumped again so Ron and I bridged the gap, Tom on my wheel. By the top, Chris didn't see the sign so I rolled past and showed him the sign he just lost.  We ate at the park and then Chris flew up the hill, dropping us all. Ron was in hot pursuit while Tom and I were back discussing the car he bought his son, an old Honda with a new engine.

The return was smooth and easy and we rode back to the scene of John's crash to survey the damage to the road. The last leg Chris motorpaced a city bus to over 35. I'd give him credit for the headwind but there wasn't any behind the bus!

Although we only rode 34.5 miles at a 17mph average the ride was quite eventful. Thanks to all who attended. I'm very sorry about John's crash. Thanks to Chet for getting our wounded teammate home. You're a first class guy!

I have truly enjoyed riding with Wheelsport over the past several years and will miss all the excitement. I'm sure my "last ride" won't be forgotten soon!

I will be returning from Minnesota during the winter and hope to join the team on a few rides. 

Monday is our meeting at Elliot Bay Brewing, 6:30 pm. Stop by early for a cold one!Thanks for your support. Ride safe.

Marshall
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2010, 05:40:41 PM »

Small turnout today – we had Tom F, Rod, Brian, and myself. Tom & I decided much to the dismay of Rod to do the Browns Point/Dash Point ride. Rod stated he hadn’t been on the bike for over a month and would be a hurtin’ unit.

Bathroom stop and we were off – Short warmup time and off we went down Valley towards Peasley Canyon. Up Peasley the group fractured – we regrouped at the Arco and after some stretching lessons from Rod we had a nice quiet ride to Browns Point. The first real nice downhill Rod and I tried outdoing each other at 38+. Bottom of the hill and climbing up towards Dash Point there was a zebra stripped rabbit (Chet I honestly thought it was you) and I went on the hunt. I picked him off and Tom wasn’t far behind. As Tom and I eased off – here he comes and rips past us….Tom jumped on it and we were chasin him down the hill.  I slipped by Tom for the Pierce Co. sign and 200yds later picked up the Dash Point sign. The zebra stripped rabbit took a quick exit stage right…apparently not wanting any more of the WCT clan! We regrouped at the Cliff House pulled off our warmers and headed out for our return home.

Down the hill we discussed our route home and made a modification….yes Rod we actually did take a few miles off. Made a left at Taylor, continued across I-5 into Fife. Continuing on Valley into Sumner…..deep off the back  Super Rod….bolts for the sign – I couldn’t get off Tom’s wheel in time and Super Rod had the Sumner sign by The Old Cannery.

We decided to go through the warehouse district in Sumner and go through Pacific to avoid traffic/horrible road conditions on Valley.  Pacific sign in sight Tom and I both take off hard for it- I had him by a wheel and Tom mumbled something about gearing….Huh
After having a tailwind our whole ride, we finally found our headwind on the Interurban – we decided to back it down after having an 18.7 average up to that point and take a relaxing ride back to the parking lot.

48.6 miles – final average 17.0 –

Great ride…Chris had 3 signs Super Rod had 1 brilliant uncontested sign – Tom thanks for sharing pulling duties with me today – See ya next week!

Chris
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 03:12:05 PM by John W » Logged
ckaiz

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2010, 10:34:44 PM »

3 braved the rain.....Chet, Tom & Chris showed up and decided to get a few miles in. I picked up some cheap fenders and they stayed in the truck - destined to find themselves back on the display rack at the bike shop.
We decided on a Victor Falls ride and headed out via the trail towards Sumner. We began encountering some raindrops and pushed on. Heading through Pacific the rain picked up a bit and by the time we hit the Sumner city limit signs we were in a pretty good downpour. I sprinted for the Sumner sign, and Chet decided a left turn was an easier option to pick up the "other" Sumner sign. I guess if Tom would have turned right......we all would have had a sign. Over the tracks and through the warehouse area and the decision was made to head back north and get outta the rain.
A moderate pace to the Pacific sign - and Chet edged me out by a tire... Back on the trail we had a nice convo and avoided any mechanicals/crashes on the wet day.
As always great ride, weather wasn't ideal but oh well thats the PNW for ya -

24 wet miles 17 mph avg.

Tom, Chet thanks for showing up and dealin with my spray

Chris
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 09:54:42 PM by John W » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length