Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2017, 03:36:30 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: SMF - Just Installed!

+  WCT members-only forum
|-+  Wheelsport Rides, Bike info, etc
| |-+  Weekly team rides
| | |-+  Ride summaries - 2010
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Ride summaries - 2010  (Read 17006 times)
shafer3
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: January 01, 2010, 03:41:11 PM »

2010 ride summaries can go in here!  Maybe we'll break this up by months.

Chris H.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 01:14:41 PM by John W » Logged
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 02:00:36 PM »

What a super day for a New Year's Ride! Joining us was Christian, John W., Tom F., Ron, Kurt, and myself.

A strong wind was blowing up from the South, so we decided to do the Puyallup loop. Roads were wet and the fenders were quite necessary. We proceeded down West Valley at a moderate clip gradually increasing the speed to about 19. Kurt took over and did a very good job pulling into the wind. John was ahead at one intersection and Kurt almost went down trying to clip in and not hit John.

At Little Italy, Christian was pulling and headed up the hill. I went to the back and Ron sprinted off on a solo breakaway. John and Tom carried on a conversation and Kurt tried to pursue Ron. I slowly moved up and finished the climb right behind Kurt. On the way down, John had a pinch flat that blew his tire right off the rim. Pretty impressive!

Repairs made, we cruised on into Sumner, made a right and I dropped my water bottle. Going again, we proceeded at about 18 on across the bridge and onto River Rd. Instead of climbing Puyallup hill, we went straight through Puyallup and into Sumner.

Town signs were at a premium this day with Ron taking two, Marshall two, and John two. Ron might have another but he cheated because he knows all the signs. Christian obviously doesn't because going up River Rd. he started his attack about a mile before the sign.

After a quick coffee at Sumner, we headed back with the Tom Frank promised tailwind. This time he was right. Kurt started the first pull and got us up to 25 never slowing. Not bad for the new guy riding the "bait bike!"

John did a nice pull up the Interurban and everyone held on pretty well.

Kurt did the most amazing job of the day and truly impressed us all. He fell off a bit at 26 but all things considered, he rode a great ride. Kurt offered to buy us all coffee but John told him he did it last week because he was celebrating his 5,000 mile year. Kurt said that he rode 6,000 this year! oops! That should be a beer at EBB!

We arrived back just as the rain started to fall. 41 miles @ 17.1mph. Nice winter pace.

See you next time and at the meeting on the 18th at EBB!
Marshall

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:32:35 AM by John W » Logged
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 02:03:44 PM »

This ride consisted of Christian, Little Ron, Tom F, returning guest rider Kurt, Dave B, and me.  When Dave B arrived, Tom introduced himself to “the new guy” - Dave.  Dave it’s great to have you back after the volleyball season.  Let it be known that his team of girls ended up sixth in the State!

The cloudy sky was beginning to clear to beautiful sunshine as we left the parking lot.  Tom called out to Ron to let him know that we were leaving.  Ron was busy doing his typical parking lot circles while the rest of us got ready to ride.  Easy pace on Russell road to the Interurban trail north.  Tom took the first pull up the trail. 

At Southcenter, we left the trail and shifted over to the road and continued on Interurban toward Alki.  Christian was on the front.  The pavement on Interurban, northwest of the 405 is really rough.  I think we have all gotten used to Christian’s rattling fender.  It was especially loud as we bumped along.  Then there was a loud crack and assorted ugly sounds as Christian’s fender broke loose and folded over on itself.  The damage was surveyed, and Christian opted to turn around and limp back to his car.  The fender was suspended only by its backstays and appeared to float in space like a bird in flight above the back wheel. 

The remaining group continued on toward Alki.  As we approached the South Park sign, I jumped out for the sprint with perfect timing until the signal turned yellow.  Tom immediately pronounced that I would be “relegated to the back if I ran the light.”  Since the cross traffic was already beginning to move forward…I demonstrated my braking ability.

After coffee at the bakery we reversed the route.  Kurt, Tom and Ron, all took some really nice pulls this day.  Kurt and Ron continued on the Interurban trail when we made the turn toward Russell Road Park.

The stats: 42 miles @ winter pace. 

See you next week.

John W.

John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 11:51:30 AM »

What an outstanding ride! A little cold at first but no rain and an excellent turnout.
We had 9 riders this day including: John W, Dave B, Chet, Christian, Tom F, John McKain, Kurt, Ron and myself.

We headed to Renton for a Leshi loop. Tons of bikes were out and several teams on training rides. Its always fun to see large teams and they almost always wave and speak to us as we pass.

Our pace was moderate all the way up the Interurban Trail and through Renton. John McKain came out to see what all the fun was about on these Saturday rides. What a great rider and a lot of fun. Hope you come back again.

Rainier Ave. was a little faster and Dave B won the townline sprint into Seattle.
Up the hill toward Seward Park, we broke into two groups. John W and I stayed back with Dave awhile but decided to try to close the gap to the lead group. Chet, John M, Ron and Tom were going hard and Kurt dropped off. John W and I pressed on and rolled into the park right behind the leaders. Chet was KOM on that one.
On around the lake we rolled easily and Chet finally broke away toward the end, several of us in tow.

A coffee was in order and back on the road to Seward. A gentleman we met at the coffee shop approached the group and called out "on your right." I was last in line and this gold Colnago started around me. Well, I thought, if you're going to pass me you've got 8 other guys to pass as well and then you'll have to pull.
I said "nice bike" and we dropped him.

Chet and Ron were circling overhead and joined back on. At first I thought Colnago was back but it was Chet.

Dave B and I took a shortcut up out of the Park to avoid the steepest part. In the end, Dave was #4 on that climb.

Dave, Chet, Ron and I proceeded onto Rainier slowly for the rest to catch on. Once they did Chet and Ron attacked and gapped the group. Dave B and I got on behind Tom while John W, Christian and Kurt chased down the breakaway. Tom flatted and John M couldn't get the rest to stop.

Repairs done we caught up in Renton where the team was waiting.

Back on the Interurban Trail we went South at 19-20 in a double paceline, Tom and John M up front and Kurt and I right behind. When the leaders pulled off to the outside, Kurt, who for the first time, was actually on Tom's wheel, didn't go up the center but tried to go wide. With no room, he ended up trail riding off the trail. Had this happened 50 yards up, he would have gotten a bath in the flooded ditch. A little excitement is good.

No crashes, no damage.

Tom flatted again and rode it on in.

Back at the parking lot, the sprinkles started. Good ride. 40 miles.

I look forward to seeing everyone Monday, 7:00pm at Elliot Bay Brewing in Burien.

Marshall
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:26:43 AM by John W » Logged
AZRIDER

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 11:15:23 PM »

Anyone ride today?
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 09:40:07 PM »

It was about 42 degrees with misty rain falling as I drove toward Russell Road Park.  Thoughts of a solo ride disappeared when Dave B and Tom F drove into the parking lot.  “Where is everyone?”  “Should we call them names in the ride report?”

The three of us headed south for the Puyallup loop at a nice easy pace.  Tom was on the lead to take the first city sign in Pacific un-contested.  As we passed the sign, I was thinking that with just three of us, there wouldn’t be any sprints…

A couple of pull rotations later, Dave is on the front.  Suddenly, he is accelerating dramatically.  I’m thinking, this is a little out of character for Dave…oh, there’s a sign.  A mile or two later, he did it again!  Years of Wheelsport experience seems to give Dave a huge sign location advantage

Left turn, right turn, onto River Road and I’ve got the pull.  This sign is mine!  At this point of the ride, we had not been above 18 mph.  My strategy is to pick up the pace starting about three quarters of a mile before the sign.  Tom may chase…but not Dave.  At 26 mph thinking, “Tom would have been next to me by now if he was going for it.”  I’m cruising the last 100 feet or so, when I hear “(indistinguishable comment…..Dave!”  Dave flew by…shocked, I hit the gas…this isn’t happening!  I’m one gear too low, without enough time/distance to shift.  Spinning very fast and closing the gap…this is going to be close!  Dave by a Tire!!!  Super effort Dave…Congratulations!

Dave looked shot and dropped back like he was tied to a post.  We crossed the bridge and continued through Puyallup on the flat route. 

At the freeway exit before Sumner, I very slowly drifted across the intersection on the shoulder.  Dave and Tom stopped and then proceeded slowly when the light changed.  What are they waiting for?  The two of them sat back and waited for me to coast through the Sumner sign at the bottom of the hill before catching up.  Then Dave rides up and announces, “since you ran the light, the rules committee has relegated you to the back…I took the sign.”  Whatever…   

That’s Tom one, Dave four, but who’s counting?

Tom is next to me after the light as we approach the Pacific sign.  “Are you going to go?”  “Thought I’d let Dave go by and get it.”  He obliged.

Up the Interurban toward Kent, Dave drops back.  Time to mess with him.  “Those sprints have you tuckered out big boy?”  “Cracked me like an egg.”  “Learn a lesson here?”  “Yep, don’t waste energy pulling, save it for the sprints.”

Dave shot across an intersection in Kent in front of oncoming traffic.  Tom and I decide not to tempt the grim reaper.  The rules committee quickly decided that Dave should be relegated for the last sign.  He protests that it should be the next sign.  Tom cited the Kent Rule: in the event there are no more signs, Dave is stripped of the last sign.  Works for me.

This ride was 41.5 miles at winter pace.  My maximum speed while being schooled by Dave - 28.5mph.

See you next week.

John W
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:29:21 AM by John W » Logged
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 09:02:32 PM »

Well, it was wet. And it remained so all day. Perfect Northwest riding weather.

We rode to Renton, toward Seward Park, around the lake, up Lake WA Blvd, to Mercer Island, across all the trail switchbacks, back across I-90 bridge, over to Coulon Park, back to Renton, past Boeing, onto Interurban Trail and home.

Christian, John W, Ron, Tom F and I made up the WCT team.

Since Christian's aluminum fender broke, he now sports an SKS plastic fender sans courtesy flap. He likes to ride in #2 position. This thing shoots out a spray about 10 feet and therefore our pacelines were a bit skewed.

Trying to keep the speed moderate, Christian pulled up to Seward Park. Nice job.

From there, however, John W decided he'd pull at a good pace. Christian in tow. I caught them after several miles with Tom and Ron on at around 25. Exhausted, I was greeted by massive water spray. With no wheel to latch onto, I dropped back.

Up Lake WA Blvd, I was gapped by a hundred yards but caught by the top.

Back across the bridge, we made it to Mercer IS for a coffee at Tully's.

On the return, Christian flatted by Coal Creek Parkway. Tom F aired him up and we began our cruise to Coulon on the trail. Slow leak.

A mountain bike rider with a roadie in tow was trying to drop us on the trail. We later caught this duo going up a roller toward Coulon Park and I almost hit them as we flew by with 10mph advantage.

We only had to stop once more for Christian's tire.

In Renton, I got boxed in by a Honda Fit at an intersection while everyone else took off. Did they look back to see if the group was on? No.

I sprinted forever and finally caught on at a bollard entering the trail. 

Once on the Interurban Trail, I was in a bonking situation. I shouted out "STOPPING" and that I had bonked. Clif Bars were thrown my way. One landed on the ground and Christian put it in his pocket.  I ate one and we rode off back to the lot.

No crashes, no damage. Ron won one sprint, Tom and John won the others.

Great ride. About 43 miles in less than record time but wetter than expected. Great fun. Super ride guys!

Marshall

John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 12:49:06 PM »

62 degrees on February 6 in Seattle. 2 feet of snow in DC. Here, we're doing a WCT bikeride!

Our team today is Chet, Tom F, Christian, John W, Dave B, Ron and myself.

Dave asks for Alki. With a light tailwind, we proceed North. Tom on his new Kestrel, has us going up Monster Hill. I don't think this was what Dave had in mind. I led out the climb but was passed by Tom and Chet. Soon Ron sprinted around. The road rises up at a point around 18 degrees. Ron shot back behind me and John. KOM was Chet followed by Tom, myself, John and Ron.

The downhill was a different story with Dave leading the way. We traded pulls to Alki at a moderate clip. Low 20's.

After a break, we returned in a nice paceline, gradually picking it up. Chet had a nice pull followed by Christian. Then Tom took over and after a small rise on Marginal Way, ran us up to about 26.

Christian fell off the back in a serious bonking situation. When I bonk, I am totally finished. Christian, on the other hand, can spin at 84rpm in any gear. No stopping. For anything. Including stoplights, stopsigns, intersections, etc. Soon, the bonking guy had dropped us all! He dropped us up McAdam as well. This is how you bonk...off the front.

I hung back with Dave who had bonked as well. Instead of jumping on the Interurban Trail off West Valley, he did the climb up the overpass over Grady Way. This added a few extra miles but another hill was welcome. Dave insisted! On the Trail, we were confronted by a headwind keeping our progress to 18-19 mph. Dave and I pressed on and arrived back home sometime after the others.

Well, the ride became fragmented but everyone did their best under the circumstances.

Chet won KOM and all the townline sprints he wanted. Best rider today was Tom who climbed well, pulled strongly and talked most of the way. He even sang a Stevie Wonder song going up McAdam while Dave was on the ropes.

Chet is always a great addition on our rides. When Chet shows up, everybody has fun. Dave and I rode 45 miles @17.2 average.

Super ride everyone and great fun. Thanks to all who made this a great WCT day.

Marshall
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 05:19:01 PM »

A light rain was falling as Chet, Christian, Tom F. and I set out for Victor Falls.  As we left the parking lot, Christian said, “I didn’t lock my car” and circled back to handle it.  Tom and I continued toward the Interurban at warm-up pace, Chet stayed behind.  At the trail, all were back on.

The usual Saturday morning banter ensued as we traveled south…real estate short sales, global warming, fenders and buddy flaps.  After drenching all of us last time it rained, Christian’s bike is now sporting his nice leather buddy flap.  The flap that was on the fender that he bent in half a few weeks ago.  Chet’s rain bike does not have a flap, thought the fender extends down lower than most.  On the wet trail at warm-up pace, he was producing a very modest, a nothing to get excited about spray.

In Pacific, I pulled off a Dave B style sneak attack around Tom to win the sign.  Chet is still clueless about sign locations…this is good!  The rain had died down to an occasional drop or two.

Through Sumner, up the hill, and right turn onto Orting Hwy, frankly I don’t know if it’s really called Orting Hwy, but that’s what I call it.  Shortly after rounding the corner, I went to the back.  Chet took the pull, followed by Tom and Christian.  As Chet set a comfortable pace, every once in a while I felt very large raindrops hit me.  “Funny, it doesn’t look like it’s raining.”  A couple of miles later Tom dropped from the second spot and went to the back, muttering something about Chet throwing mud.  Christian didn’t last long in the second spot, and then it was my turn.  Mud was flying!  Chet’s speed and fender configuration were perfect at picking dirt up and flinging it!  At a signal, I took the pull to get away from mud boy.  Tom tried a sneak attack at the Sumner sign, but jumped too late.  I just smiled.

The ride back to Russell Road was uneventful.  The Pacific sign was mine, since everyone else ran the red light and suffered relegation. 

At the parking lot, Tom, Christian and I looked like we had been on mountain bikes in the mud.  Our jerseys were Wheelsport brown.  I don’t think Tom realized that his face was just covered in mud…and I didn’t tell him.  Chet’s WHITE jersey was pristine, not a spot on it.

We had fun!  41 miles, winter pace. 

See you next week.  Guest riders are welcome.

John W.
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 12:27:17 PM »

John,

Ok, ok I’ll fix my mud slinger. When I read the part about Tom’s face being totally speckled with mud (it did make his teeth look whiter), I cracked up. It’s funny I was thinking the same thing when we finally stopped. “Boy, Tom’s face looks a mess, I wonder how that happened?” Then I turned and checked out you and Christian, I was wondering if we had been on the same ride. Just think what Tom said when he finally looked in the mirror, “Damn, Chet!’ And you were right. My jacket was so clean I don’t think I even had to wash it.

Thanks for a great read. I also noticed your final tag. “Guest riders are welcome.” Are you sure you didn’t mean, “Certain guest riders are welcome.”

Thanks again for putting up with me and my spray,

Chet

John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 02:37:48 PM »

You couldn't have a better day for a bike ride, especially in February. We decided to go up to Mercer Island for a little climbing and to see all the other bikes out.
Eight were in attendance including: Chet, Tom F, John, Christian, Kurt, Ron, myself and new-guy Chris. John invited Chris to join us. He is an excellent rider and quite strong.

Much of the ride North was in the 18-19 range, with John and Chet up front in a double paceline of sorts.

I had planned on hanging back on the climb to Seward Park but a guy on a Bianchi commuter bike wouldn't let me pass. Tom wanted to see how many rec riders we could take out today, but this guy was determined.  I had to step it up since Tom had announced our mission statement. I ended up second at the top behind Chet. The Bianchi was taken out.

Around the lake, Ron had a nice pull and then we began the climb up Lake Wash Blvd. This time I stayed back and let Chet do his thing.

The bridge was a little congested with runners and bikes but we made it across without much drama.

Christian took over the lead and we hammered to Tully's on Mercer. Very fun and a pretty decent team effort.

Christian lead out again back across the bridge keeping the group together.  Kurt took off a few times since he had a caffeine fix and Chet flew up to reel him back in by the back of his jersey.

We rolled past Coulon and into Renton travelling South on Oaksdale. John got up front and picked it up to 26 or so.

Back down the trail and to the park our ride was uneventful for the most part. Great job everyone. Especially new-guy, Chris.

Ron won one sign, John another. Chet was KOM. We rode about 43 miles@17mph.

Hope to see everyone next week!

Marshall
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 01:10:53 PM »

The outside temp gauge in my car said 61. Not a cloud. Wow! We're in paradise!

Don't need no stinkin' fenders. Tom, Dave, John, Ron and I headed out for the Renton-Maple Valley-Black Diamond-Auburn loop.  Nice and slow up the Interurban Trail to Renton and up the Cedar River Trail.

Dave is on his old steel fender bike. A classic.  Tom and I have no fenders. John kept his Race Blades on because the roads were wet. Ron kept his rear fender only. As it turned out, Dave, in his wisdom, had the right bike.

I pulled up the Trail and picked up the pace to 21 into a slight wind. Going to the back, I noticed that Dave was starting to falter while the others carried on. I pulled ahead of Dave and we motored on while the rest motored away, occasionally looking back to watch me work.

On one street crossing, a car turning right laid on his horn on 169 and kept it steady all the way through the crossing, never slowing. I sprinted across as did Dave and we escaped a certain hit and run. I didn't know Ford's also had runaway acceleration. Looking back, I saw it was an old man and his wife! I think he was showing her he could still keep a firm foot on the gas!

Eventually, we caught the group and headed up Witte Rd. Here, I got a little lesson from Tom. He picked it up the hill and I held on with Ron behind. Soon, Tom pulled off and I held the pace past the steep part and blew up. I kept it together and made the top behind Ron and Tom. At the light, I commented to Tom that he killed me on that hill. He said that when he pulled off, he realized he was going too fast but I kept the pace. That's why I blew before the top. Lesson: when Tom pulls off on a climb, slow down! And let him pull again!

By this time the raindrops had turned to rain. Nice and steady.

The Witte Rd. ride was a bit slow but we made it to Kent-BD Rd. Instead of the left to Black Diamond, we went right to get back. Tom wanted to hit the rollers on our left before Hatchery Hill, so he and Ron hammered them out.

We went on to cruise down the Hill. John pulled and Dave and and I coasted. By the bottom, Dave kept coasting and John kept pedalling.
Just as if we planned it, the entire group of 5 met back up in Auburn.

We rode up the Interurban into Kent. By this time, I couldn't have been wetter, or colder, or more covered in mud.

Stopping at the Washington Ave. James intersection, a guy in a red pickup pulled alongside and began to cuss me out because I was riding my bike. I was in his way.  Running out of insults, he finally called me a homo and spun his tire as he turned right. One day, I too will have a pickup truck so powerful that it will spin its inside tire on wet pavement! Amazing!

This was a great ride. Lots of fun and a bit of drama.

We rode 47.3 miles @17mph. Surprising average, really, but we were running 25 down K-BD and similar down Hatchery Hill. I couldn't see a thing!

Sunday, 7:30am, was the final HIT session in John McGraw's garage. 13 weeks, twice a week. My third year. Thanks to John and the other 11-12 super riders who made this program a great success.

Also, Sunday ends the Winter Olympics. Congrats to my former speedskater from Jefferson City, MO, Bruce Kohen, whose custom short track boots were worn by 8 time Olympic Medalist, Apolo Ohno, and appear on the cover of the Feb. 22 edition of SI.  Pretty cool.

We're assured of at least Silver in hockey. Maybe Gold.
Go Team USA!!

Marshall
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 01:15:46 PM by John W » Logged
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 05:05:21 PM »

The day was beautiful, temperature 44 degrees with a forecasted high of 60.   I arrived at the parking lot at a 9:45, thinking I would be the first to arrive.  To my surprise there were already about six riders getting ready or doing circles in the parking lot.  Within a few minutes there were twelve of us assembled for the ride.  The regular riders were Christian, Tom F, Thien, Little Dave, Big Dave, Rod, Ron, Chris and me.  We were also joined by two new guys, Dave who evidently rode with the group in the past, and Mark who found us by surfing the net and the WCT site.

We may need a team rule: No more guys named Dave.  Big Dave, Little Dave, and now Middle Dave!  This Dave thing is getting out of hand!

Rod, who has lost a lot of weight and now, has a lean chiseled look, pronounced “I’m out of shape and feeling weak.”  He was selling, but nobody was buying.  After the obligatory restroom stop, we set off to do the Browns Point Loop. 

Down West Valley at around 21 mph, the pace line started to settle in with Middle Dave and Tom setting the pace.  I was maybe halfway back in the line as we approached the first City Sign.  Rod flew by with Little Ron on his wheel.  Rod glanced back and seemed to ease off ever so slightly; Little Ron pounced and won the sign.  Rod said he never saw Ron on his wheel.  Don’t just look over your shoulder…ya gotta look down!

Peasley Canyon - KOM to Tom and Ron.  Over the freeway and as we made the right at the Marie Calendars there was a big hole in the road.  There were bricks inset in the pavement to form a cross walk at one time…now there is a wide hole across the entire right lane.  As I hopped across, I wondered about if anyone would flat?  A block later, Mike did.  Repair made and onward.

Rod led down one of his favorite sections at 25 mph   Right turn and down through the curves.  Big Dave shot by and maintained the lead to the left turn.  As we climbed through the rollers everyone went at his own pace.  KOM went to the break away group of Tom, Ron, (new guy) Mark and myself.  We all rolled into the Restaurant parking lot together.  In just a few minutes everyone arrived.  A couple of guys took cell phone pictures and we were off.

Again, Big Dave led down the hill.  We took a brief water break (and final stop) at the Truck stop.

As we turned onto River Road, I figured that the Puyallup sign would be hotly contested.  All of the sprinters had moved to the front of the pace line.  Tom, Rod, Thien and Little Ron, were all there.  At the bridge/stop sign I took the opportunity to move to the front.  As I increased the pace, I decided not to participate in the sprint, but to make sure it was launched from a fairly fast pace line.  We motored up to a steady 25 mph for the two miles or so before the sign.  At about 100 yards before the sign the sprinters went by…doing maybe 26.  It was like slow motion…Ron was tucked in behind one of the larger guys and you guessed it, snuck around and got the sign by a wheel.  Look down!

Dave B & Christian opted to stop of coffee in Sumner.  The rest continued on.  My seat slipped just as we turned onto West Valley.  Mike stopped and offered a tool, repair made.  We were now a few minutes behind the group.  Can we catch them?  Soon Little Dave appeared, waiting for us and running out of gas.  Dave and Mike opted to slow down, I continued on.

Back at the parking lot, there were happy sounding complaints of cramping legs and bonking.  Thien said the group had an average of 18.9; mine was 18.6 for 49 miles.  Pretty quick pace for the first week of March, it must have been the sunshine and warm air…ah, spring must be here!

Chris, Mark and Middle Dave all had good strong rides. 

Hope to see everybody back next week…

John W         

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:49:17 PM by John W » Logged
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 10:22:22 AM »

We're getting some pretty good turnouts for our Saturday rides. This day we had up to 11 riders including one added during the ride. One returned early. WCT consisted of: Dave S, Dave B, New Dave, Mark, Thien, Kurt, Ron, Tom F, Christian, John W, and myself.

The route was the Puyallup loop with optional Little Italy climb. Four of us chose not to do the climb and carried on down West Valley.

A pretty decent headwind all the way South kept us working hard. I pulled us up to 20+ but it was difficult to maintain. At one point I saw 16 on my speedo while on back.

The climb up Puyallup Hill was broken into a couple of groups but we all made good time. The downhill to Puyallup was lead by Dave B, the rest struggling to keep him in sight.

We ran into a St.Patrick's Day fair and dog show downtown which made our progress very slow. No fast average speed today.

The return was nice and fast with a good wind at our backs. Finally! New Dave took a few nice pulls as did Mark through the industrial section. I caught a breakaway led out by New Dave going 30+. Nice effort.

Sprinkles began in Pacific which turned to showers by the Interurban. Speed was moderate in the rain but when it let up Mark went to the front and led out a drag race from track to track and corner to corner. I think he didn't want to get any wetter!

This was a great ride and a lot of fun. Ron was our sprinter of the day getting the Mark Cavendish Award. We rode 45 miles @17.5mph.

Great time! Thanks to everyone for a great ride.

Marshall
John W
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 01:17:41 PM »

First day of Spring and a beautiful day! A little nippy at first but we were all shedding layers as the temp and tempo rose.

11 riders left the park for the Gorge loop: John W, Christian, Rod, Ron, Thien, Mike, Mark, Tom, Chet, Chris and I made up WCT on this ride.

Our ride went down 259th to Green Valley through Auburn, toward Flaming Geyser and up Hatchery Hill. Thien, Ron, Chet and Mark took off first. Tom jumped on with the leadout.  I held a good pace but got passed. Soon, I caught John and got on his wheel. The freighttrain reeled in Thien, who jumped on, then Rod and Ron, the"bee." We pulled in right behind Chet, Mark and Tom. Whew. Good job, John.

Way too many clothes. I put my vest in my pocket and off we went to Black Diamond.

The pace was fast but we all stayed together. At B-D, the Bakery Road was all torn up so we went to the gas station. More clothes came off. My pockets were overflowing.

On toward the Gorge and up the hill we stayed in a double paceline for a bit until the downhill to the Gorge. We spread out across the road but no cars were passing. Up out of the Gorge, we broke up into several groups. The lead was Chet and others, follwed by John. Christian and I brought up the rear at an easy pace.

John's seat slipped on him a few times so he had to stop to tighten it. That's the '09 Tarmac Pro. They fixed that on the '10 model.

The rollers were fun, as always, but not too fast. Soon, we got up to speed and flew back down to Green Valley Rd.

Stopping, I had to re-arrange my pockets and finish a mouthfull of Clif Bar. As I rode up to the group alongside the road, all took off except Christian who was not yet prepared to leave.  The rest were chasing down some fast lady riders going our direction.  I stayed with Christian and we made our way back, past the meat market and onto Auburn B-D Rd where we regrouped and headed home.

On Green Valley Rd, Rod took the pull of the day, running somewhere between 21 and 24 the whole way back. Wow! Super job, Rod.

Great ride everyone. Ron won at least one sprint, Rod another and John one uncontested. Don't know who was KOM since I wasn't near enough to report. However, I'm going to give it to Chet anyway. He's a super-strong rider and a great addition to the group. Funny, too!

Most improved riders are Tom and Rod. Newbies Mark and Chris were very strong. Mike was right there all day. Super!

We rode 52 miles at 18.7mph maybe 19.1. Maybe a bit less.

Thanks to all who made this a good, fun ride. Great job everyone!

Marshall
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length